Chapter Twenty Seven

"Do you...want to go over there?" Hoseok asks calmly, seeing the state I'm in. I blink, constantly on the brink of falling apart. I fucking knew it. I fucking knew I'd have to worry about this. From the moment I saw Jonghyung again in high school...I just knew.
I swallow hard and try to retain my pride. I force a smile. "N-no. He's just having dinner with a business associate. He's welcome to it."
"Oh." He looks surprised. "I didn't know simple business associates kiss each other, too." He mutters, staring into his glass of wine.
I snap my head up. "W-what?"
He nods towards the couple I refuse to look back at. "I work in that business world, too, remember? I've seen them quite a lot around. The other day I happened to see them walking out of the building talking. I didn't think much of it but as I was crossing the street, it certainly looked like Yoongi leaned down to kiss his cheek—but I could be mistaken. Maybe he was just whispering something in his ear."
I gape. Like that's any better! I take several deep breaths. "You could be lying to me. You have a lot against him." I admit aloud.
He laughs. "I suppose but what would I really gain, Park? I know you would never look at me like that. Believe it or not, I don't take pleasure in being a homewrecker. I'm telling you because as your friend I think you deserved to know."
"Then why didn't you tell me when it happened? You had my number." I accuse, still praying for any sign he's lying to me just to start trouble.
He frowns. "I don't know your situation. For all I'd known you two had broken up or are on a break. I really don't have much insight into your life and relationship." He reminds me logically.
I drop my hands in my lap. He's right. Feeling brave—or maybe I just want to torture myself more—I glance back again only to see them chatting and laughing happily.
How can he look like that while lying to me? The man he supposedly loves more than anything...and he's lying to me about going to dinner with other men. At least I left Yoongi a note. I don't lie to him about what I'm doing or who I'm with.
Hoseok looks concerned. He reaches across the table and squeezes my hand. "Hey. Let's get out of here, okay? Anything you want to do—my treat." He smiles widely.
I fight back tears. God, why does this shit keep happening to me? Am I truly destined for heartbreak and unhappiness? I just can't seem to catch a break.
I toss my napkin down and stand up. He joins me. "You go wait outside while I pay the check." He places his hand on my lower back and guides me the opposite way of the traitor's table and towards the doors.
I whisper a thank you and wait for him right at the doors. How is Yoongi going to explain himself? I'm not letting this go. He has known for years how I've felt about him with Jonghyung and yet...maybe I'm not important enough to him to give that person up.
All my doubts and insecurities surge back up full force. I really have no one but myself to blame on this. I knew better. Maybe you just can't fight fate. Yoongi was supposed to end up with him. Maybe that won't change. I can't change everything.
I look at Hoseok as he walks back towards me. My charming and handsome ex-husband...well technically we were still married when I died. My other husband, I guess. He really is so different in this life. It makes me wonder—more than once—what happened in his other life to make him such a foul person.
He's like the total opposite here. I don't get it. I've searched hard for any signs of him putting on an act. I know him inside and out—at least I think I do—and yet he seems completely sincere.
"Ready?" He asks, helping me into my coat.
I nod. "I'm sorry but I think I really just want to go home." I whisper.
He brushes some hair out of my face. "Alright. Just don't do anything rash, okay? You're like my only friend." He teases.
I roll my eyes, scoffing. "You're charming enough to make more easily."
He throws his arm around my shoulders. "Yeah but none would be quite as entertaining as you." He winks.
"Right. My marital issues are your special brand of entertainment?"
He nods. "Better than a kdrama."
I smack his arm. "Asshole." But I'm smiling.
He smiles back. "There's that gorgeous Park Jimin smile. I've missed it!" He mocks.
Of course it only makes me smile wider. I pout. "Stop it."
He walks me home, hesitating at the door as I unlock it. I can feel him looking at me. It makes me nervous for some reason. I hope he doesn't look too deeply into this new friendship. Yoongi is my husband and I still love him. I'm not going to cheat on him even if he is an asshole to me right now.
"So...can we maybe hang out and get coffee tomorrow?" He asks.
I look up at him, nodding. "Sure, I guess."
His entire face lights up and it makes me feel bad. "Thanks. I guess...tomorrow then?" He steps back.
I nod, pushing the door open. I'm about to wish him a goodnight when my phone chimes. Feeling apprehension, I pull it out to see a message from Yoongi.
I stare at it for a long time, my pulse throbbing almost painfully. Hoseok seems to feel how tense I've become and walks back over. "You okay?"
I swallow hard. "D-do you want to stay and watch a movie or something?" I whisper.
He furrows his brow. "Are you sure?"
I smile, nodding and making space for him to enter. I glance down one last time at my phone, feeling my heart break a little more every second.

Pulling an all-nighter. See you in the morning. Love you, Min.

Time; YoonminOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara