18

"Penny for your thoughts" Byron said breaking my thoughts. I looked down at my lap. "You must be thinking some thing" he asked.
"London has a pretty sky line, this flat has great views."
"I meant about being birthday eve"
"My thoughts was the view."
"Fairs" He said breathing out I watched the foggy air escape his mouth. I starred at it, the lighting was good and the fair light bulbs in the background looked cool against the bricks. "What are you thinking now" he asked obviously noticing I was starring, I quickly looked down at my lap, heat filling my cheeks.
" I... ermmmm.... just errrr... I... it would have been a good ummm picture" I said embarrassment consuming me. "Sorry I'm so awkward" I said trying to laugh but it seemed forced and just embarrassed me more.
" I don't mind, take the photo if you want" he said smiling.

"Oh wow those look sick, the foggy breath looks cool."  He said our shoulders leaning together as we both looked through the photos. "Thanks" He said smiling to me.
"It's errrr fine, I can send them to you later if you want them." I said blushing and looking down at my lap again.
"Cool thanks"
"Would... would you... ummm mind if... I maybe... Oh don't worry" I said embarrassing myself.
"No what is it."
"Oh no it's fine really, it's nothing."
"I honestly don't mind just say it"
"Well... if i... ummm used them for... for a ummmmm... course work"
"No it's fine" he smiled, "you want to be a photographer?" He asked, seeming genuinely interested.
"Maybe, I have no clue. I'm not really good enough to be a photographer. It's more of just a... ummmmm hobby"
"You are really good from what I have seen. Go for it" he smiled.
"I am probably the worst in my uni"
"Wow, I know Joe isn't sometimes not 100%confident out of videos but you are something else. You are incredibly i don't know, shy, from my point of view you have no confidence." he said, this comment I don't know it latched onto me. It hurt. It stung. I felt my eyes prick with tears. Struggling to hold them back I remained looking down. "It's strange, both your siblings are confident and can talk to vast numbers of people through camera and meet and greets. And you... you are just so different" he paused and I heard a little movement, "oh man, I am really sorry. That probably wasn't the best words to use, you are unique very different to Joe and Zoe, you break free. Unique in a good way. I like it."
"It's errr fine" I said tucking some hair behind my ear and trying to keep the tears in my eyes. "I should... errrr.... ummmm.... should probably" I began
"Why are you so not confident." He asked, another jab to my stomach. "If you don't mind."
"I errrr don't know maybe I ummmm got the bad genes"
"Sorry I sound like such a douche right now, sorry"
"It's errrr fine I guess I just don't really like talking about it"
"That's understandable" he said before his shoulder gently and playfully bashed into mine, "so can I have your Instagram?"  I looked at him with a mixture of confusion and relief.
"I don't have Instagram," I replied, "well I do but, I have no post it's private and just like my friends post."
"So basically you are a caveman" he said laughing.
"Yep" I replied laughing as well, "but I guess I do have an iPhone" I said holding it up. "White 5C still going strong"
"That is ancient"
"I know" I said looking at it, "I was going to replace it but i don't know I just never thought it was important."
"No I get that, just get rid of your phone and be stress free,"
"Yeah"
"Or at least a phone with no apps and just a phone option to make calls and have contacts."

Zoe's pov.
Excitedly I looked at the time, 11:56 almost midnight. I pottered around people aimlessly looking for Edie, I checked the lounge, upstairs, the kitchen. The only place left was the bathroom and the balcony, I headed over to the door and looked through, round the corner I could make out the rough outlines of two people. Slowly and silently I opened the door, I slide out so I could get a better look. It was Edie and Byron, were they smoking, the smoke escaped their nostrils and mouths, I gasped shocked at them. Only when doing so I noticed a thick smokey substance near myself, it had also escaped my mouth. It was just the cold air. How obvious.

I looked at them talking, I watched as Edie genuinely talking without constantly nervously looking down or away. Talking with multiple words and not just agreeing to everything mellowly. But like all good thinks it has to end. She looked down for a long time nervously fiddling her thumbs and not responding. I really thought she might have stopped, leaving it in the teenage years.

Dee's pov
"So why no picture of your self on your Instagram"  Byron asked leaning back slightly.
"We aren't all models Byron" I said trying to laugh slightly. "Well I am always the one taking the photos not having them taken of me"
"Well I could take one for you now, it wouldn't be as good quality as yours"
"Its fine really" I said fidgeting with my thumbs,
"I honestly don't mind" he said
"No" I said looking down, "I ummm I really don't want I photo"
"Why"
"I don't want to see myself, I don't want others to always be able to see me and have a copy of the photo accessible, and judge me"
"Judge you, jealous of you maybe. I don't understand why you have no self confidence,it's not even at the natural stage it's  weird. It's not right to I don't know bru. Maybe you should speak to a professional and...." his voice mumbled away till I could barely hear it. His every word felt like a stab.

Zoe's pov.
Byron had now stopped talking, he looked uncomfortable but so did she, he had a confused look on his fAce as he tried to figure out what was happening. I coughed so they would know I was here, Byron instantly looked up at me his eyes asking for help whilst he smiled apologetically and confusedly.
"Edie" I said, "we should probably go in now, it's almost midnight" she quickly stood up and walked over to me and the door her head still bent down. She breathed in before entering the door and returning to the party.
"Thank you" I said as Byron also walked towards me to return to the party.
"I really didn't mean to upset her." He said seeming upset.
"Well you got her speaking and not looking down and she doesn't even know you that well so that is a great start. And I know I am extremely grateful." I said whilst standing in the door frame and Byron had stopped and leaned against the wall a meter or so away. "I was hoping she would leave it in here teen years."
"I really wish I could if done more. She seems like a great kid, but I think I just upset her." He said rubbing the back of his neck with his hand.
"No you really have made progress, thank you."

Edie pov.
"Quick it's 11:59" Zoe shouted excitedly as she dragged me to the sofa. People followed us, thankfully there wasn't many people there but I guess I didn't invite any friends and it was just some of Joe's and Zoe's friends who I knew.
"3...2...1"
"Happy birthday" people cheered. I cringed as I felt everyone looking at me.
"Welcome to adult hood" Joe said laughing, "you will hate it"
"Wow Joe make her excited why dont you." Alfie laughed.
"My baby is 18" Zoe said hugging me from the seat next to me.
"The baby sugg is now an adult" I heard somebody say, but all I cojld think was holy shit I am 18, I am an adult. Oh fuck ...