Phobia.

Pacing inside his messy office, Jim Gordon kept his eyes locked onto the ground. He had known Lilah since she was just a girl and he had grown to love her like she was his own and yet, in a few minutes, he would be forced to interrogate her. In some ways, he blamed the Batman for this and in others, he blamed Carmine Falcone. In fact, he almost seemed to blame anyone other than Lilah and that included himself. 

I should have been there for her after Adrian died. He thought to himself. He had managed to take Mercious under his wing, but he was so convinced that Lilah was fine that he didn't think to reach out. He thought that she was old enough and strong enough to make it on her own. Who knew that after all this time, she was the one that needed his help, not Mercious. 

"Jim?" Looking up to the door, he laid eyes onto one of the men in his unit, Lauchlan Weiting, a good man.

"Yes?" He replied inaudibly. Lauchlan gave him a sympathetic look.

"The Commissioner wants her interrogated now." He said, "We've had a few problems with the boy." He said, immediately averting his eyes from Jim's. He knew exactly who he was talking about.

"I thought I told you to keep Mercious out of this." He said. Lauchlan shrugged his shoulders,

"I tried, but... he found out. Now he wants to be the one to interrogate her." He said.

"He can't. He's directly related to her." Jim stated. Lauchlan nodded, he didn't need to recite the rules to him. 

"I've told him that. We've all told him that, but he won't listen. I gave Barb a call; she said she'd be here in half an hour." Lauchlan informed him. Jim smiled lightly, it was times like this he was glad Barbara and Mercious found each other.

"Thank you, I'm on my way now." He smiled softly. Lauchlan gave him a short nod, stepping aside as Jim strode out of his office and down the corridor towards the interrogation room, where the small girl he used to know was being held. As he came closer to the room, he noticed a group of officers that all stood around the room, Mercious was one of the many rookies that had found themselves there. The difference was, Mercious was the only one that was being restrained by one of the older, more experiences officers, causing Jim's concern to grow.

"You lay a hand on my sister and I'll kill you!" Mercious screamed, causing to Jim to quicken his pace. Death threats already? Someone must've really pissed Mercious off. 

"She's nothin' but a criminal!" One of the rookies replied and this time, Mercious spoke with so much hatred and venom that even Jim was surprised. 

"I'm going to say it one more time; you make a move against her and you'll be dead before you hit the ground. You understand me? Do I make myself clear!?" Mercious was shouting and Jim thought it time to intervene. 

"Mercious!" Jim's voice boomed, causing the crowd to fall quiet and the officer who had restrained Mercious quickly released him. All eyes were on Jim, but he was only concerned about the young man, who was panting, a look of anger on his face. He had to admit, he sympathized with him. It wasn't easy when everyone was convinced your only sister was a criminal. "Stand down, son." Jim ordered Mercious, yet there was still a kindness in his tone. Mercious gave him a pleading look,

"I want to go in." He said. 

"You can't. Regulations-"

"I don't give a damn about regulations!" Mercious cried angrily, shocking even Jim, whose brow furrowed,

"Don't you raise your voice to me!" He snapped back before turning his attention to Officer Blake, who had been the one who had restrained Mercious.