Nightwing's Redemption Ch. 3

Thomas Elliott was silent as he wheeled his once closest friend, now Lilah Crane through the long corridors. She was strapped into a wheelchair that he had insisted he would wheel out towards the yard. She needed fresh air and he knew that some of her friends were there as per their once a week allowance in the closed off cement area that had a cage that acted as a roof. It was the closest thing to kindness Thomas could think of after what he had stolen from Lilah. Before the procedure, she fought like hell, he'd never seen her so distraught and Thomas himself felt tears in his eyes as she begged him not to do it. That was the closest Thomas had come to crying in a very long time and he somewhat hated that Lilah still had an affect on him.

Since the procedure, Lilah had been silent, her eyes were weary and tired from the anaesthesia and Thomas expected her to cry, but she didn't; she just remained silent. As they passed the cells of other inmates, all were silent and watched them pass. Everyone knew what had happened and Thomas wasn't sure if it was fear that kept everyone quiet or pity. Even as they passed Edward Nigma's cell, he was standing, hands wrapped around the bars and the way he glared at Thomas made him imagine all of the death traps that Nigma had planed for him. When Phobia was removed from her cell for the procedure, it was only then that he realized that Phobia and Nigma were in fact, close. Nigma had threatened everyone who was present and even went as far as to start hurling whatever he could at the guards in a feeble attempt to help Phobia.

As Thomas reached the yard and the doors swung open, his eyes flew towards the many armed guards that were keeping the yard secure. Those who caused little trouble could roam freely, those who did cause trouble were confined to a cage that allowed them enough room to either sit or stand and then other inmates like Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, Joker and Mr. Freeze weren't granted yard time at all as they were too much of a risk. He knew that Jonathan Crane, the Scarecrow, was confined to one of the cages in the yard. He had to scream at the Warden until his face was red to even get the okay to allow them in the yard together, after all, they had performed the abortion illegally. He also knew that Harley Quinn would be present as well as Selina Kyle. The two dark haired girls were rivals, but they always had each other's backs. As Thomas pushed the wheelchair into the yard, he watched as he was approached by Selina and Harley, both with solem expressions and Scarecrow removed his mask and stood, watching Phobia from where he was caged.

"We've got it from here, Doc." Selina snapped at Thomas, near shoving him aside as she shot hima glare and started to wheel Lilah away from him. Thomas closed his eyes momentarily before he followed them.

"Wait." He muttered, pulling out a set of keys and dangling it so that Selina could see them. As Selina stopped, Thomas moved around in front of her and unlocked the restraints that kept her strapped to the wheelchair. Lilah didn't look at him or move as she was set free.

"Lilah, I'm so sorry." Thomas whispered, trying to make eye contact with her. As he opened his mouth to speak, he heard Harley clear her throat, forcing him to move aside and she bent down and embraced Lilah who clutched onto Harley for dear life and began to sob into her shoulder.

"I said, we've got it from here." Selina repeated, more venom in her words as repeated her already cold words. Thomas stood and moved to stand next to one of the three guards that stood within the yard. He wasn't going to leave until she and the rest of the inmates were returned to her cell and so he watched as Lilah howled like a wounded animal into Harley while Selina prowled around them, being sure no one else in the yard came too close.

Usually, Thomas didn't really... feel anything for anyone. He was the type of person who could easily kill anyone who became useless to him. But watching his childhood friend mourn the loss of her unborn child pulled on Thomas's heartstrings, especially considered it had been he who had performed the procedure. Hearing the sound of a cage rattling, Thomas's gaze flicked to the Scarecrow, who had slammed his hand against the cage in what he assumed to be an attempt to get Lilah's attention. As she lifted her head to look at him, Selina and Harley also following her gaze, the Scarecrow spoke.