Alone Together

I didn't really own anything of actual value, but I gave Blair a plastic spork and she decided to let me live. I mean, it was brand new in package with a napkin and everything. It was a steal, I think.

She said something along the lines of "I think I can accept that as payment" and holstered her finger guns. And by "holster her finger guns", I mean that she stuck her hands in her pockets.

After that, we just kinda ended up talking while music played in the background, which was a weak attempt to drown out the sound of my brother screaming as he tried to sled down the stairs.

Not super special, I guess. But I could talk to Blair for a stupidly long period of time without getting even slightly bored, so I didn't mind.

"The other day, Leslie told me that you take dance classes. But I genuinely couldn't tell if she was fucking with me or not because her voice seems to have a permanent sarcastic undertone."

"Yeah, she wasn't lying. I've been taking classes since I was seven."

"Oh shit, that's a long time. What kind of dance do you do?"

"Ballet."

"That's pretty cool. I've seen ballet dancers do pretty intense shit. Meanwhile, I'm just sitting here lacking any and all dancing ability. Well... Actually, no. I was gonna say I could do the sprinkler pretty well, but that's a lie."

"Oh god." Blair laughed.

I was somehow managing to not be incredibly awkward.

Okay, well, I still kind of was, but like, significantly less than usual.

So I guess that was kind of an accomplishment or whatever.

"You know, I have a theory."

"Care to share?"

"I think that Baby may not be your actual name."

"Oh no, you've figured out my secret. How'd you do it?"

"Indeed, I have. When your dad asked where the toolbox was, he called you Riley."

"Oh yeah, shit. He did. Exposed by my own father."

"Out of curiosity, where did your nickname come from?"

"Well, I guess it's not technically a nickname. Baby is my middle name. When my best friend found out, he thought It'd be cute," I did air quotes around the word 'cute', "to start calling me that. I thought it was stupid. But it stuck and now the only people that call me by my actual name are my parents and Eddie. I mean, I could've changed that by not introducing myself as Baby, but I guess I'm just used to it now. It's grown on me. Like mold on a shower curtain."

"I'm not sure why you're using air quotes, Baby is a cute nickname."

"Psh, thanks..." Oh shoot, there's that awkwardness again. Never would've expected that from m y s e l f.

I spoke up again before she could say anything else. "Why'd you dye your hair blue?"

Blair shrugged. "I don't know, I just wanted to do something different, I guess. Plus it's my favorite color."

She glanced to the right of me, where I had my guitars propped up on their stands. I had three,  two electric, one with six strings and the other with seven, and an acoustic.

"I occasionally use them to produce sounds that are vaguely pleasant."

"I don't think anyone says that."

"Well, someone does now. And that someone is me."

"Do you play any other instruments?"

"I can also play the harmonica, but practically refuse to play anything but metal songs on it at this point."

Blair tried to suppress a laugh. "If you're dead serious, I'd actually love to hear you cover a metal song. That sounds amazing."

"I mean, it'll probably suck, but I'll do it."

"I'm going to hold you to that."

"Noted. So, uhhh...do you have any siblings?"

I was really good at coming up with questions.

Can you tell?

"I have three younger sisters. They're triplets, and despite their small stature they can and will bring you down."

"Frightening."

"Indeed." Blair's eyes found their way to a poster on my wall.

"Wait just a second, Tenner, you watch TNaR?" she asked.

TNaR. Those Nights at Rachel's. A show that had taken over my life for the past four months.

I nodded in confirmation. "Yeah, I've fallen in love with it over the past few months because if I'm not horrifically obsessing over something, then I'm probably dead."

"Wow, same."

"Do you want to...I dunno, marathon it with me?"

"I like the sound of that idea."