Denim

"Is that Blair's jacket?"

I was sitting in Mr. Schmidt's class before the bell rang, half asleep with my head on the table until Leslie came in and started drawing on the back of my hand with a purple Sharpie.

"What would possibly make you think that?" I asked, looking up at her.

"Well, first off, it's a denim jacket and those are Blair's thing. She's got like, forty of 'em. And I think I've seen her in one with a gray hood and sleeves just like the one you have on. Also, it's kinda too big on you, dude."

"I can't tell if you didn't know I was being sarcastic or not."

"Let it be a mystery, then."

"What the hell did you just draw on my hand?"

"It's a pirate, obviously."

"I don't see it."

"That's 'cause you're looking at it wrong." She grabbed my hand and adjusted it so that I was viewing her artwork correctly. "Do ya see it now?"

"Kind of... It looks more like a soldier from the Revolutionary War, honestly."

"It does not. How dare you insult my art like that."

Freddy ran into the classroom. 

"HEY, LESLIE! HEY, BABY!" He took his seat in between the two of us, pulling out his notebook. "OHH, IS TH-THAT A DRAWING OF A SOLDIER FROM TH-TH-TH... FROM THE REVOLUTIONARY W-WAR ON YOUR HAND?"

Leslie threw her Sharpie onto the table and it bounced, landing in the fake pot of flowers. "I give up!"

"BY THE W-WAY, I FOUND OUT LAST NIGHT TH-THAT MY GRANDPA LIKES TO SOAK HIS FEET IN OFF-BRAND DIET COKE. DO Y-YOU GUYS THINK THAT'S NORMAL?"

Leslie and I exchanged looks before replying.

"I... don't think so."

"Yeah, that sounds kinda wack, Fred."

"TH-THAT'S WHAT I TOLD HIM!" he exclaimed. "BUT HE DIDN'T BELIEVE ME!"

Bon-Bon groaned, "I swear to god, if you ask one more person about your grandpa, I'm gonna go feral."

"I JUST W-W-WANNA KNOW IF I'M IN TH-THE WRONG OR NOT!"

They began to bicker.

I started to zone out.

And I probably would have continued to, had somebody not come up from behind and wrapped their arms around me.

It kind of scared the crap out of me.

I looked up, "Blair!"

"That is my name, yes." She grinned.

"Man, what're you doing here?" Leslie asked after she had finished laughing at me. "You don't have this class."

"Actually, I do. I just have it fourth hour," Blair explained. "And I wanted to ask Mr. Schmidt something about the project we're working on before I forget."

"Ah."

"And, since I've already done that and it didn't look like any of you saw me coming in, I decided to come over here and scare Baby because that seemed like it would be fun."

I raised an eyebrow, "Was it?"

"Very."

"HEY, BLAIR!" Freddy had finally stopped arguing with Bon-Bon, but only because he was covering the puppet's mouth with his hand. "DO Y-Y-Y... DO YOU THINK IT'S NORMAL TH-THAT MY GRANDPA LIKES TO SOAK HIS FEET IN OFF-BRAND DIET COKE??"

She rested her chin on the top of my head. "I... don't believe that it is."

Freddy's hand slipped off of Bon-Bon's mouth.

"I warned you, Fredward. I warned you not to bring it up again."

"BON-BON, C'MON—!"

Annndd...they were at it again.

"Okay then. Moving swiftly on," Blair said. "You excited for our date, Baby?"

"Hell yeah."

Leslie began to draw on Freddy's notebook while he was preoccupied with his puppet. "You dudes are seeing a movie, right?"

"Yeah."

"And let me guess, the movie the two of you are seeing is another shitty, low budget horror movie?"

"No," I scoffed. "Yes."

Leslie cackled, "I fucking knew it. What's it called?"

Blair threw on a deep voice. "The Slay Bells Are Ringing."

"But it's not 'sleigh' as in a sled drawn by horses or reindeer, it's 'slay' as in you're gonna kill someone in an extremely violent fashion."

"That sounds really dumb."

"Yeah, that's why it initially piqued our interest."

"What time is it?" Blair asked abruptly.

"Uh..." I turned on my phone, which was sitting on my lap, "7:27."

"I should probably get to class. I'll see you guys during lunch. Except you, I'll see you during French."

"Unless I abruptly clip through a wall and end up in a black void full of red trees between now and then."

"If that happens I'll be sad. So try not to touch any walls."

"Fine."

She pulled the hood of the jacket over my head. "And just so you know, that jacket looks really cute on you."

She left right after that.

-----------------------------------

I took all of the q u a l i t y suggestions you dudes gave me last chapter and put them into the vague outline I have for this story. So... expect to see those in upcoming chapters, I guess.