The Dark-Haired Boy

My first day working back at Silver Eyes was on Monday after school.

For the most part, I'd describe the experience as average and practically the same as the last time.

Except there was now the added bonus of recognizing some of the people who came in from school.

Namely Lyle and Frankie.

I was slowly becoming convinced that they could not exist outside of each other's presence because I had never seen one of them without the other.

I headed over to their table and did my usual thing: smile, pass out the menus, and say a slight variation of the exact same greeting I had already repeated like fifteen times.

"Hey there, welcome to Silver Eyes. My name is Riley and I'll be your server tonight. Can I get you something to drink?"

They got really excited when they saw me and told me what they wanted.

They didn't really have the opportunity to annoy me for very long, but they did use what little time they had very effectively.

I returned with their drinks and took their orders.

When I was in the middle of giving those orders to the kitchen staff, I could feel somebody's eyes burning holes into the back of my skull.

I turned to find some guy staring intensely at me from a corner booth.

He appeared to be around my age and was rather good looking. He had expertly slicked back jet black hair, dark brown eyes, a complexion slightly less porcelain than mine, and a sharp, well-defined jawline.

Oh, and he was sitting by himself.

I assumed that he was staring at me because he had been there longer than I had realized and was taking too long to wait on him.

So I headed on over.

He seemed pretty chill when I started talking to him. Everything was all fine, dandy, and normal until I was about to walk away.

"Wait," he said. "Can I ask you something real quick?"

"Sure. Shoot."

"You go to CHS, right? Are you friends with Blair Danz?"

I squinted at him. "Uh... yeah. Why?"

"Next time you see her, could you tell her that I want to talk to her?"

"Sure... what's your name?"

"Mari. Mari Paulsen."

'Alright then.'