Sneaky Business

Well, I did it. I played in front of a decently large group of people -- multiple of which I knew -- and didn't royally screw up. Color me surprised that I didn't end up dropping my pick with how sweaty and cold my hands were.

All I could really do was repeat a bunch of words like "nice", "cool", and "okay" in my head as the crowd quieted down and we started moving all of our equipment so that the next band could get their stuff out.

I would've helped with carrying things more than I did, but about halfway through, Richie and Cassie decided that holding some sort of contest of strength with each other was a good idea. As a result, Rory started talking with Lyle and Matt beside their car and I ended up awkwardly standing by the backdoor with Barry.

"Hey, I have to use the bathroom. Could you hold onto my drink for a minute?"

"Yeah, sure."

Okay. Just me standing by the backdoor.

"Hey, you." And suddenly, a pair of arms wrapped around me, and I was hit with the familiar scent of Blair's perfume. "You did great. Of course, there was never any question if you would or not."

"Thanks, Blair." As I pulled away, I told her, "Also, thought that I had earlier today that's only slightly out of nowhere: you've seen me play me, can I like... see you dance? Homecoming doesn't count because I was too busy having a gay panic and trying not to look stupid in front of you to really pay attention, and that time Freddy got you to do the Boot Scootin' Boogie with him doesn't count because that was just a... a uh... I don't know what that type of dance is called."

"1.), sure, that can be arranged. 2.), it's called a line dance. And 3.), good, because I would not like the Boot Scootin' Boogie to count."

"Okay, cool. You seem like you have a problem with the line dance, but it was pretty amazing. If you want, we could do one together. Like the Cupid Shuffle. Or the Chicken Dance."

"The Chicken Dance? You and I both know that you would never do that in the presence of another person. Not after that one incident."

"Yeah, you're not wrong."

"H-hey, Baby!" Matt was heading over, Lyle trailing behind him.

Blair draped an arm over my shoulders.

"I w-wanted to tell you that you g-guys were amazing!"

"Hey, thanks."

Matt asked me a bunch of questions -- mostly about music -- before Lyle started dragging him off somewhere.

"S-see you at school!"

Blair and I both waved goodbye.

She watched them walk away. "You know, I think Matt might be a little into you."

"Oh... Wait, into me? Yeah, right."

"I mean, I could be wrong, but I'm kind of getting that vibe from him. And you didn't think I was into you, but look where we are now," Blair pointed out.

"Okay, maybe you have a point. Perhaps I am but a simple, dense lesbian."

"It's alright. You'll learn to pick up on things eventually." She patted me on the head.

"Thanks for the reassurance."

"You're welcome."

Then Rory walked over. "Hey, here's your money." He preceded to take my free hand and slapped some cash into it.

"Oh? Holy shit?"

"What? Did you not know you were getting paid for this?" he asked.

"Honestly, the possibility did not even occur to me."