Chapter 1

“You ready?” he asked me with fear in his voice.
“On three. One.” I began.
“Two.” He spoke.
“Three.”

One month earlier.

I sat down in my bench and watched everyone walk through the door. I chewed my gum frantically while watching Stella nervously sit down in the bench next to me. She leaned over to me and whispered:
“What the hell are they keeping us for?” I followed her eyes which were locked on the principal and our French teacher. I shrugged and my leg started shaking. You know, the kind of shaking where, if you’ve started, you literally can’t stop. The nervous kind of shaking.
It was the last day of school. Everyone, and I mean everyone, from school was on their way to a party or to the airport right now, except for us. Us being me, Stella, Jake, Will, Daisy, a few guys from the football team, the girl I used to sit next to in calculus, a guy I’d never really noticed before and another guy, who usually sits in the back of detention. Stella and Jake are my best friends, we have everything in common. Will and Daisy are known as “the twins” and are friends with Stella and Jake, therefore we have their friendship in common.
Everyone in this room, had one thing in common, though. We always end up in detention.

“You are all probably wondering what you’re doing here on this lovely last day of school.” The principal spoke and the whole room got quiet. “Mr. Stevens and I have something very important to say about your summer break.” She continued and looked at Mr. Stevens.
“You will all be spending your whole summer break, learning.” He said with a grin on his face. He looked like he was enjoying delivering the most horrible news in the world to a group of teens.
“You’re kidding, right?” Jake asked and laughed nervously. I looked at Stella and she looked at me with a “can-they-do-that-?” look. I shrugged again and faced Mr. Stevens who were just about to answer Jake’s question.
“Does it look like we’re kidding, Mr. Fields?” he asked and smiled a horribly mean and gross smile. The room was filled with “what the hell?” and “you can’t do that” and believe me, if looks could kill, they’d be mass murdered at this point.
“It’s already fixed.” Mr. Stevens said and let our principal continue.
“We’ve talked to your parents and they’re waiting outside of the school with your bags ready.” She said and I could feel every muscle in my body tensing. How the hell can they just do that?
“Excuse me, but why the hell are we being send to summer school?” Stella asked and took the word right out of my mouth.
“You, my dear students, are the only ones who’ve spend more than 60% of the after school hours in detention.” The principal started. “This needs to be punished.”
“We’re sending you to a camp, for two months, where you’ll be learning. Not learning math or French or English, but learning about trust, friendship and how not to get detention.” Mr. Stevens explained. Everyone in the room exchanged looks before the principal ended with;
“Have fun.” And then they both left. I stood up right away and looked at Stella.
“Is this even legal?” I asked as we walked out of the classroom.
“And you think that even if it weren’t, they’d give a damn?”