Chapter 10

The week passed by fast. Faster than I thought it would, actually. We didn’t do much. We were down by the lake every single day, and at night we gathered to do exercises. Like last night, we did this thing where we had to be blindfolded and the rest of the team had to lead you through a labyrinth. It was kind of fun actually. Even though Cameron and I hadn’t had any time together since game night, I still managed to always run into him. Like refilling juice in the morning, at the jetty (even though I never actually jumped into the water), competing against each other on out exercises and stuff like that.
It’s currently 3am. I’ve been sleeping good every night, but today was different. All I could think about was the feeling I had when I was under that water. I kept having these snapshots of everyone leaving and Cameron saving me. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn’t fall asleep. I removed the blanket from my legs and sneaked out from our cabin, leaving the girls quietly. I walked towards the main cabin for a visit at the ladies room. It was quite chilly outside, so I hurried up. I closed the door carefully behind me and walked further inside before getting to the bathroom door. I tried open the door but it was locked, so someone was already in there. I turned around and walked into the living room. On easy footsteps I walked towards the photos hanging on the wall next to the fire place. I looked at a photo of a kid, a few years younger than me. He sat in a boat. All smiley and happy.
“Can’t sleep?” I heard a voice from behind which caused me to jump a little. I turned around to see Cameron in the door opening. He was wearing a pair of blue boxers and a white tee.
“Not really.” I said and smiled. I started walking towards him carefully.
“Something wrong?” he asked, still standing in the opening.
“I…” I started, but ended with, “It’s nothing.”
“Doesn’t sound like nothing.” He said and put his arms in a cross over his chest.
“I’m just thinking about the accident.” I said and looked down. I was standing a few feet away from him.
“Tell me.” He said and I could hear he really cared.
“I’m just thinking about that feeling of being stuck. It’s like, when I think about it, I can’t breathe. I can’t move. I’m just stuck.” I said. I probably gestured like a fool, but what I felt needed gestures to be understood.
“You know what I think?” I heard his voice speak.
“What?” I asked curious yet hopeless.
“I think everyone needs to experience something bad to realize how good their normal lives are.” He said and looked at me. “So, you should probably make this into something good.” He continued.
“How is that going to work?” I asked, even more hopeless than before.
“For every bad thing you can find about being stuck, you have to find something you like. So for an example, if I were you, I’d say, bad thing = not being able to move. good thing = my mom.” He said and smiled. I liked the idea. “I promise you, in the end, you’ll find so many more things you’ll like, and at least for that moment, it’ll put you to sleep.” he walked up to me, put his hands on my shoulders and said;
“And please make sure I’m one of the good things and not the bad things about being stuck.” He said and looked me in the eyes.
“You’re first on my list of good things.” I whispered and looked back into his eyes. He started leaning in close to me. I felt my eyes shut and then our lips collide into a kiss. His hands left my shoulders and moved up to my face, meanwhile mine found their way to his waist. I can’t believe he kept finding right’s in my wrong’s. No one had ever done that before.