Chapter 24

"You can't sell the summer house!" I said angrily with a little bit of shock in there.

"We can't afford having both the summer house and our own. We had to sell one of them." Grams said and laid her hand on top of mine.

"No. No. Gramps don't let them do this. How can you let them do this?" I asked and stood up at the edge of crying.

"I'm sorry honey." he said quietly and put his silverware down. The reason I asked him how he could let them do this was because he was the only one who knew about my spot. My special place, which happened to be on their property. If they sold the house, I wouldn't be able to go there anymore. I would never get any answers ever again.

"How could you do this!? How can you take away that from me?" I almost screamed and stormed out from the room.

"What is she talking about?" my mom asked when I ran outside.

"I'll go talk to her." Gramps said and left the table. "Excuse me."

I was sitting 10 feet away from the water. It was unexpectedly hot outside tonight. I rested my arms on my knees and buried my feet under the sand. All of a sudden I heard a voice.

"Care if I join?" Gramps asked. I shook my head no and he sat down. We sat there for a few minutes before he decided to talk.

"You know..." he began. "I remember the first time you came here." He said and he caught my interest. "It was the day after your 7th birthday. You first came to our house, but your grandma just kept talking to you and I guess what you wanted then was some peace and quiet. So you went outside. You walked a little bit on the beach before finally sitting down. On this exact spot." He said and I could see flashes of memories pass by my eyes. "You sat here for six hours. Six long hours. And when you finally came back inside, it was like nothing had ever happened and you asked if we could take you home again." He finished. I took a deep breath and tried not to tear up.

"And ever since then," I started.

"You've been coming here for answers." He finished my sentence.

"You're not the only one who knows anymore." I said and looked back out over the ocean.

"Did you finally tell your mother?" he asked.

"No." I said simply.

"Who then?"

I just smiled.

"A boy?" he asked and I smiled even more. Probably like a fool. "You're too young to replace your poor grandpa." He laughed and put his arm around me. I smiled and leaned my head on his shoulder.

"His name's Cameron." I said and thought about his smile which caused me to smile.

"Tell me about this Cameron kid." He calmly and I told him all about Cam.

"Do me a favor, will you?" Gramps asked after I told him about my entire summer.

"What?" I smiled.

"When you guys come back home, take him here." He said.

"Do you really want to see him so bad?" I laughed and looked up at him from my place on his shoulder.

"Yes, but I didn't mean to me. Bring him here." He said and pointed to where we were sitting. "Sounds like he needs some clarity." He smiled. "I'll try to convince your grandma about selling the city house instead. I want the very best for my little girl." He smiled and kissed my forehead.

"Really?" I asked and a smile spread across my face.

"Yes." He said and smiled. I turned so I could give him a hug.

"I love you." I whispered.

"I love you too, sweetie." he said.