Chapter 9

“I might be loud and irritating, but I’m also the reason you feel emotions when you’re watching a movie. A small amount of me is calm, but the rest is wild and crazy in love. What am I?” Cameron read and looked at me. “You know what it cou-“ Cameron began but I cut him off.
“Music.” He nodded in agreement.
“Speakers?” we said, both at the same time which caused me to laugh. “We have speakers in our room.” I said and next thing I knew, Cameron pulled me with him towards the door. The rain was still pouring down. The sky was pitch dark, even though it was only 3pm. He held my hand strongly but very, very gentle, while pulling me with him towards the girls’ cabin. As we got there, our clothes were soaked and water was dripping down the tips of our hair. I opened the door and walked inside the warm wooden cabin. I left Cameron’s hand and searched for the next note.
“I can’t find it.” I said hopeless after lifting and flipping the speakers around for a couple of minutes.
“Hey, look!” Cameron said and walked over to my bedside table. “Here it is.” He said and picked my headphones up and showed me the small note stuck to them.
“Read.” I smiled and sat down on my bed. He sat down next to me and started reading;
“I couldn’t come up with any more riddles. So, I want you guys to tell each other something about yourself. Something no one else knows. Don’t be afraid to share.” He read and slowly put the note down.
“Who goes first?” I asked after a few minutes of silence.
“I’ll go first.” He said and cleared his throat. He hesitated a little at first but then said;
“Growing up as a kid… I never really felt like I was good enough. And I think that was because my parents weren’t home much. I mostly sat alone in my room. Even though I had friends, I was never really out much to see them.” He said and looked at me.
“I’m sorry to hear that, Cameron.” I said and took his hand in mine. He looked at our intertwined hands and smiled.
“It’s okay. I got used to it.” He kept smiling.
“No one should have to feel like they’re not good enough.” I said.
“I know. I know.” He looked down and then up at me.
“Now your turn miss.” He said and laughed. “What’s something no one knows about you.” I had to think for a while.
“You know Jake and Stella?” I said and watched him nod. “Well… They’re my best friends. They really are.” I said and smiled at my feet.
“But…?” Cameron asked and waited for me to continue.
“But,” I said. “Sometimes I feel like I’m not theirs.” He got quiet for a while.
“I think… Sometimes, you gotta be with the people who makes you happy. So the question is, do they make you happy?” he said and I thought about it for a while. I’d never really looked at it that way. And I realized, they make me laugh. That gotta count for something, right? Just as I was about to thank Cam, the loudest thunder you could ever imagine was heard right above our heads.
“Maybe we should head back inside.” Cam laughed and I realized how close I was to him.
“Yeah..”  I said and stood up quickly. “Probably a good idea.” I looked at him a bit panicked for being so close and then turned around because I felt my face turning red.