Chapter 29

An hour later, we were done. With a plate of chicken, pasta and cheese in front of us, we waited for Emily to enter the cabin.
"Dude, we're good." I said proudly and looked down at our plate.
"We for sure are!" James laughed and put his arm around me to give me a hug. I hugged him back, and was surprised when I saw Cameron staring at us. If looks could kill, I swear James would've been mass murdered right now. I pulled away from the hug but I noticed how Cameron never lost sight of me. Why was he still so overprotecting? It's not like we were the same as before. Plus, James and I are nothing but friends. Emily entered the room and I could stop thinking about his looks.
"Okay guys! We have some special guest judges for this challenge. Of course, you guys will get to eat the food you've made. But, I thought, who knows you guys the best at home? Who would know if you've changed or stayed the same during this whole process?" she said and left us confused. As she ended her sentence, the doors opened up behind her. To our surprise, we saw four young women in the door opening. I only recognized two of them, Jake and Stella's mothers. Stella and Jake were shocked to see them there, and ran up to give them hugs. Along with them, Daisy and Will. I looked at the woman they hugged and remembered who she was. She'd lost a lot of weigh since I last saw her. It was the twins' mom. But what about the third woman? Who was she? No one gave her hugs and kisses and explained their love to her. I turned around to look at the remains of the group. Everyone was looking at Cameron. I didn't know why at the time, but I'd soon come to figure it out.
"Is that his mom?" I whispered to James and nodded towards the last standing woman. James mumbled back a 'yeah'. I remembered the time Cameron and I had been down at the lake for hours. It was probably the only time we'd ever talked about personal things with each other. Including our mothers. He wasn't very close to his, so I figured a million thoughts were running through his mind right now.
"Alright, alright. That's enough!" Emily said and laughed. The mothers were separated from their children and then we began.
"We will be in the dining room in the back, one team at a time can come on in and we'll judge your cooking." Emily said and left us to decide who would be the first.
"We'll go first." I said and looked at James. He nodded and took the plate in his hands.
After everyone had visited the room, we were told that Cameron and Chris were the winners. Not exactly a surprise, Cameron is a freakin world class cook. James and I had come in second place, and as I figured, Stella and Jake came in last place.
After cheers to the winners and laughs to Stella's "At least we got to eat." we sat down in the dining room.
"Now what?" Mo sighed and we all agreed on her sigh. This was exhausting, but at the same time, I wanted to stay busy so I didn't have to talk to Cam. Emily came walking into the room.
"Why are ya'll sitting here for? Come on! Get up. Chop chop." She said in a bossy yet cheery voice.
"Ugh, Emily! Can't we just relax for like two minutes?" Chris sighed.
"You can relax tomorrow when you're going back home young man." She said and dragged him up from his chair.
For twenty straight minutes, we walked behind Emily. Not a silent moment passed by. That's what I love so much about these people. No matter how uninteresting things are, we still find a way to make it fun. We could literally talk about the shape of a tree one second, and then completely randomly start discussing why it's called "pinky" and not like, "little toe/finger". And after discussing the most irrelevant things in the entire world for twenty minutes, we finally made it to where we were going. We were standing on a bridge. Hanging over its railing, looking out over the narrow river 160 feet below us. The sun was starting to hide behind the dark clouds.
"Looks like the rain is on its way." I said and looked up in the sky. We kept pointing at stuff that we thought looked beautiful or just cool in any way, until Emily cleared her throat behind us. We turned around and looked at her smile.
"Why so happy Mrs. Sunshine?" Stella said and laughed.
"I'm just thrilled to find out your reaction." she said and smirked.
"Our reaction to what?" Daisy asked and I think we were all afraid of what she'd say.
"Your reaction to jumping down this bridge." She said and smiled one of those evil smiles of hers. I knew everyone here was super excited to do this... me? I'm afraid of heights. So bungee jumping? Keep that shit away from me, please.