Chapter 1

Four weeks earlier...

Jack nudged me while I was doodling on the notes of my math journal. I wasn't much good at math, so it ended up boring me beyond any attempt of trying. It didn't matter. I'd always end up using YouTube and managing to cram just enough knowledge to pass with a decent grade only to forget it all by the next test. Wash, rinse, repeat. 

As for my pen, instead of filling the paper of math notes, it was in the margin, filling in the edges of a fox by a creek. Quick and simple, but no matter how much I tried, it ended up looking far too large. Its snout was too long and looked more canine than fox. 

Too wolfish. 

Jack nudged me again from my right side, gaining my attention. I looked up at him, curious as to what had him so persistent. "What?"

He motioned to the front of the classroom. What I hadn't noticed, was that the lecture had stopped, and a girl I'd ever seen before was walking into the classroom with a sticky note in her outstretched arm to the teacher. Every pair of eyes seemed to be on her, but she didn't shy away like I knew some would. She acted like she was used to dozens of eyes on her. Or she just didn't care. She seemed to be just shorter than me, her light brown hair pulled into a ponytail. Although she kept a blank face, it wasn't one of boredom or disinterest; an expression not matching the steely gaze that glanced over the room a couple of times. They didn't seem to land on anyone in particular, but she kept looking regardless. Until they landed on me, that was. The frost remained, yet was covered by a clear sense of curiosity.

Before I had a chance to wave or anything, Mr. Letterman, our math teacher, read her note then told her to have a seat, and pointed to the desk next to me. It was probably meant for just her ears, but the class had gotten quiet. It didn't surprise me. Our town wasn't that big, but it was small enough to not get too many new faces around here. She nodded to the teacher, then strode quickly to the back of the classroom, and sat at the desk next to mine.

She finally looked up, and I met her eyes. Any previous thought about anything took a joy ride. Her eyes were a frost-like blue, rimmed with a sliver of silver. I felt my breath catch and everything sort of stooped.

Her eyes grew wide and she looked away clearing her throat softly.

I shook my head, clearing the daze that seemed to settle onto me. Deciding not to be rude, I stuck out my hand.

"Alex," I said smiling. "Just thought you should at least know my name since you're going to be stuck sitting next to me for the rest of the year."

She smiled back, shaking my hand. "Amber. And you guys don't change seats?"

I shook my head. "Mr. Letterman has some problem with it. No one knows why."

She nodded a little and then grabbed a schedule from her bag. "I'm new around here... could you help me find some of my classes?"

I nodded, feeling myself grinning like an idiot. "Sure. I'd be happy to help."

She smiled back and then focused on the century-length lecture.

Jack looked up at me, raising an eyebrow. "What the hell was that?"

I shrugged, not exactly sure myself. "I honestly don't know... ."

He laughed, then popped back in his earbuds, and closed his eyes. I almost told him to pay attention, but then thought against it. Mr. Letterman paid as much attention to the students as they did to him

I shook my head to myself and looked back at Amber. Something about her was... different. Good feeling. I had no possible way of explaining it, so I just went back to doodling on my paper.

Besides, what were my chances of getting someone as good looking as her?