Chapter 42

-Alex-

I was forcefully knocked to the ground, forcing me out of stealth as I landed hard on my back. Emit stood above me with a look on his face. The past few tries of me trying to handle this new ability have been only slightly progressive. Emit, having the advantages of a hunter, had always found a way around my favorite ability, and has landed me on my ass more times than I care to count, let alone tell anyone.

Now, I've also come to learn a lot about Emit's teaching methods. You see, he seems to have a different look for each action I do. If I succeed, he nods and moves on. If I'm wrong or don't succeed, he gives me a grim look and says to try again. Anything in between he's got a blank expression. I swear he plays poker... a lot!

"If you continue to use the same tricks, you're never going to get anywhere," he said, offering me a hand. I grunted as I got up, only to have Amber jump onto my back, nearly knocking me down once more.

"Good gosh, Amber, I can hardly stand as it is. What's the big deal?"

"I need to talk to Xavier," She said, tightening her grip around my neck.

"You know you could have mind-linked us, right?"

I felt her shrug, "Oh, you know me. I like to do things the hard way."

"Which makes the three of us roll our eyes," Xavier commented.

"Huh?"

I could hear him laugh. It was odd for him, yet fitting. Like a deep resonating sound that you couldn't help but smile too.

"Jackie is a little... loud in her thinking."

"She's yelling that she is so not."

"Yes, my love, I know. I can hear her."

I furrowed my eyebrows, looking at Emit. He shrugged.

"How come we can't hear her again?" I asked.

"I have yet to teach her my little trick."

"Anyway," Amber said, obviously trying to block out Jackie's rantings. "I was wondering where Falcon came from?"

"Falcon? He didn't come from anywhere. He was created."

"Okay, but Paige said the chances of you two coming together in the same life yet again is next to impossible. What if he was summoned?"

"I'm not certain if I'm being honest with you," He said with a hum. "If he instead was summoned here... I can't say I'd know of any reason why. There wouldn't be any history of him for anyone to know of; nothing is written, at least."

Amber hopped off my back and frowned. "Okay... well, Jackie has one, and I kind of want to know the answer as well"

"Alright, my mate, what do you wish to know?"

"If you've lived in past... lives, I guess, what about your mates? You know, having a mate in a past life?"

"Actually I was wondering the same thing. I mean, wouldn't you have the same mate throughout your existence?" Emit piped in.

I heard Xavier sigh. "Sadly, Emit, while I was fortunate enough to have a mate in my lifetimes... due to the nature of their death, I was not granted to be with them through all. While I still feel sadness over the loss of them, the Moon Goddess is quite powerful in her will to forge new bonds. Thirteen lives later, I have a new mate, and one I refuse to give up this time."