Chapter 26

-Alex-

I sat the last box down with a sigh. It was only a few hours ago that I had let my parents know about... all of this... and I had packed up my stuff. I was officially 'moved in' with Amber. Not that I had any complaints, though. I was pretty happy with the way that things were currently going despite how abnormal it all was for me. 

"What are you so happy about?" I heard Amber ask. 

"I'm moving in with you, for starters. I'm already out of my house. I get to spend every night with my soul mate. And oh yes, Xavier is finally quietly content with all of this, so I don't have to worry about him keeping me up all night." 

She laughed and shook her head. "We'll see about that."

I raised an eyebrow. "We'll see? I know it'll happen. Now, the only thing I am worried about is you in heat." 

"How so?" 

I let out a soft sigh. "Your dad explained most if the details that you didn't during training. If another male so much as touches you because of this, I'm locking you in here until it's over." 

She scoffed. "Good luck with that." 

"You know I can't control Xavier's actions," I said with a smirk. 

Amber rolled her eyes. "Oh sure, it's only his actions."

"What can I say? I enjoy some of his methods," I teased.

"Not even finished moving in and you'll be sleeping on the couch," she winked.

"You're going to kill me, I swear," I joked, hugging her tightly. I put my nose in the crook of her neck and breathed in softly, basking in her scent. 

"Am I interrupting something?" 

I turned to see Jack and Sierra standing in the doorway, holding hands. 

"You've got to be kidding me," Amber said softly. 

Jack laughed. "Nope! You've guessed right!" 

I laughed as well. "Congrats, bro. Now you can stop getting on my case about 'being whipped' or 'being a love-struck fool.'" 

"Touché, but I'm still gonna tease you. It's my duty as your best friend!" 

I rolled my eyes, looking at Sierra. "Maybe we can have a civil movie night now." 

Sierra put a hand over her chest in mock offense. "I was so being civil! Okay, so maybe not, but at least I wasn't shoved off the couch!" 

Amber snorted. "Hey, I had to do what I had to do. Regardless if we use to hang." 

Sierra shrugged. "Fair enough. C'mon Jack! You have to show me where it is!" 

I looked at jack with a raised eyebrow. 

"I'll tell you later." He said, before getting dragged out if the room by Sierra. 

"Good. Now she's got a play toy." Amber growled after they were out of earshot... which took a minute since we all had heightened senses. 

"Watch it. Her 'play toy' is still my best friend." 

She wrapped her arms around my neck. "Well, he better keep her away from what's mine." 

"Yeah, you totally get jealous." I teased. 

"Don't care," she said, kissing me. "I have a right to be." 

"Oh? And why is that?" I asked, knowing that I'm pushing it a little. I couldn't help it. She was damn hot when she was jealous. 

"Because," she growled, kissing me again. "You are mine." 

"Sorry, what was that? Maybe I should go get them seeing as how I can't seem to–" 

I was cut off by a possessive growl, and Amber jumped at me. "Mine!" 

I laughed as I caught her in my arms. She wrapped her legs around my waist, kissing my neck. I held her tight. 

"Don't worry, love. I'm all yours."

~*~

I had spent the rest of the afternoon talking to Tobias, and getting some information out of him. After that was done, I decided to drop by my place and tell my dad a few things. When I drove up to my place, I quickly parked the car and went inside. I found my dad in our backyard by the toolshed and went over to him to fill him in. He had seemed to be working on some wood-working project but I couldn't tell what he was trying to do. The moment I mentioned Tobias, his face paled and he stopped what he was doing.

"Is Paige with him?" He asked hopefully.

I shook my head. "He told me they got separated a while back, and it's kind of hard not to believe him with the way he's been acting. And, as little as I can remember, I'm sure that her scent hasn't been around."

He nodded sadly, looking down at the table. "Almost five years...."

I tilted my head at him. "It's been almost eleven."

My dad shook his head. "No, she and Tobias dropped by a few years ago. You were in school, and your mother was out. They dropped by long enough to say hello. Paige told me they were passing through and knew that we wanted to see them, but they had to hurry. Something about finding someone. It was so sudden and quick, I can hardly remember."

I looked off into the woods. So he had seen them more recently than either myself or my mom. I'm sure she knew, but it still hurt a little that she couldn't have stopped to say hi to me. It sounded a bit silly and selfish, yet the slight sting lingered a bit. I remembered us being really close despite the nine-year gap between us. She would be twenty-six if I was remembering her birthday right.

"So how are things at the pack? How are you and Amber?" He asked suddenly. I shook my thoughts away and helped him pull another wood board onto the table saw he had set up.

"It's been good. I'm still trying to get Amber to forgive me, but I know I deserve that much. Training has been good, and I'm pretty sure Adam is impressed with whatever skills I have but is too stubborn to admit it; being alpha and all. And unfortunately, everyone is a bit on edge with this rogue and hunter threat looming around."

He nodded, measuring and marking pieces of the board. "Can't say I blame them. Things are getting rather odd around here recently and it seems to be happening right alongside with that threat."

He seemed to pause

"Is dinner still okay tonight? I don't want us imposing if things are too shaky."

I blanked. "Dinner?"

"Adam and his mate invited us to dinner. I knew that Amber was going to be there, but apparently, she didn't fill you in on it just yet."

I chuckled. "I guess not. I guess I'll go shower and change and then head back over there."

He nodded, patting me on the back. "Alright, I'll see you over there. Your mother should be home shortly."

I nodded and went to get ready.