Chapter 38

-Amber-

The way back to the pack-house was quiet. Although we probably could have talked to each other through our link, we were both lost in our own thoughts. Jackie, however, seemed to be on a one-track mind of getting the pup I held to safety. The poor thing had only seemed to have just opened its eyes, but he had fallen asleep on the way back. Even after we had cleaned him off, his scent still matched that of the fallen wolves that we had left behind. Alex informed me that he had let others know that there was an attack on our pack that others hadn't known about. 

My chest clenched in sorrow for those that had lost their lives. They were living under the trust and care of my dad -- their Alpha -- yet were still killed without us knowing they were in danger. 

'Easy there, Amber,' Alex spoke to me softly. 'There's nothing we could have done.'

'That doesn't make it right. They were on our land and rogues attacked them. They managed to get so far in... what about the patrol in the area? What about the other warriors that are supposed to be around?'

'I know,' he replied. I could sense his own frustration and anger. 'We just need to get home to inform the others.'

I nodded as best I could with the pup still in my grasp.

When we reached the pack-house, Alex quickly shifted and headed inside. I chose to stay outside in my wolf form. Wolf hair was a pain to manage and the pack-house already had issues with it. The other reason was it would be easier to protect the pup in my wolf form should anything happen. I placed him down in front of me causing him to wake. 

He looked up at me with wide curious eyes. His scent said werewolf, yet it was odd for one so young to have shifted. Pups were born much the same as humans -- we gave birth as a human to a human. Then, around the time of puberty, they would be able to shift. Alpha children usually shifted a little before then, but even that wasn't too much earlier. Events that would threaten a pup's life would cause an early shift, but even that wasn't until they were old enough to comprehend certain instances. The pup in front of me just made it hard to pin-point his age range.

He blinked once and made a small yipping-like noise, his head tilting ever so slightly to the side.

Okay, that was adorable.

I leaned down and gave his head a long lick of affection. He, in turn, gave a tiny growl that a pup would make and curled up against me.

'I always knew you'd get the motherly type side down,' Jackie teased. Though it contained something of a serious tone to it. 

'Oh shut up. He's cute.'

I looked down at him, my tail covering his front as his eyes started to droop again.

'Yes, he really is,' my wolf cooed, a soft purring coming from her.

I rolled my eyes at my wolf. 'Dork.'

The pup opened his eyes again and looked up; my gaze was pulled away when Alex returned, sporting a pair of jeans and a tee shirt. He was followed by Sierra, my mom, and Sylvia.

"We found him by the small river that runs through Carnip area. We never made it to the residential area, but it appears that a group of rogues had made it that far in. No trouble on the way back." Alex was explaining to them, leading them over. 

Sylvia was the first to make it over to me, kneeling down in front of me, her eyes on the pup. Our pack doctor reached out her hand, wanting to check the pup. He gave a soft whimper and shrunk back. My intention was to step back and let her handle it, yet I couldn't move. Instead the exact opposite happened; I leaned forward, placing a paw in front of him with a low, very threatening growl.