Chapter 16

-Alex-

I woke up the next morning with a throbbing head ache. Its name was Xavier. I felt him whining and growling at me. He wanted nothing more than to go to... her. Yes, maybe I did act like a complete ass to her, but dammit! What was I suppose to do. She ends up being a creature of the night, my parents don't tell me that I'm one too, and while I'm left in the dark, a hunter comes after us and I was almost killed. How was I supposed to react?

'Like an alpha,' Xavier snorted.

'Shut up. I'm not an alpha or any of that bull crap. And I'm still pissed at you for not telling me.'

He was quiet for a moment. But only just.

'I was waiting for your parents. They knew just as well as I that I was.'

'They didn't,' I snapped. 'And you knew they didn't. Now do me a favor and don't talk to me. I just need time to think.'

'And what are you going to do when you see Amber?'

I didn't respond. This left him even more agitated and I could feel him just leave.

He'll be back later.

I walked downstairs to find the kitchen quiet. Usually, my parents were still here, but I was still mad at them. They were mad at me for treating Amber like I did. So we were at a crossroads.

My parents...

They had explained everything to me. And, it came to be even more of a shocker then I had thought.

There are werewolves that live all over the world. There are a few vampires and other supernatural creatures, all like the folklore and grim tales that we knew. Unlike most myths, Werewolves are just humans that can transform into wolves that tend to be larger than your ordinary wolf. We -- I'm stuck with it now, that I can't change -- have what we call our inner wolf. It's that wild side of us, as well as that voice that helps most of us. Notice the keyword of "most" 'cause Xavier has been a pain in the ass since I've met Amber.

Of course, you'd know by now that they live in packs with the usual Alpha and Beta etc. Then my parents got on the topic of mates. Whatever anger I had must have visibly lessened as they went on, for they even tried smiling a little. Werewolves just like the wild one, mate for life. Some legends say that we have one true mate in this world and that our wolf will be drawn to them. That part is true. The part that isn't is the one where they could be anywhere. I think that the fates found a little bit of pity towards us, due to the fact that we've got a load of problems as it is. I say this because we usually find our mates within our geographical range. So someone wouldn't be living in like, California and their destined mate in Maine. No, try the so said wolf in California finding their mate in Oregon, or Nevada. That's as about as far as they would be.

Mate... that was something that struck me. Although I'd hate to say it, Xavier was right. It did explain a lot. A wolf's mate was like a soul mate. Without the other one, they wouldn't find a reason to live. To keep going. That mate to a wolf was their everything. My dad told me that once he heard of an alpha wolf that gave up his whole pack, and left, just because his mate had to leave. Apparently, that was a big deal in of itself.

The more they explained it, the more it made sense. At one point, I wanted nothing more than to hold Amber in my arms, and tell her that I was sorry.

Then I remembered how the day had been.

How I was the only one left in the dark.

Anyhow, it came from my mom's side. Unlike most werewolves, she couldn't shift into a wolf. She still had her inner wolf, but just not enough of the werewolf genes to change. She retold me the story of how my grandfather was adopted, and how he had the genetics of a werewolf. My grandmother, on the other hand, wasn't a werewolf. In fact, their mating was one of the few where he was a wolf, and she was a Hunter. Want irony? My dad was also a Hunter in his teen years. He stopped when he realized just what he was doing, but all the same, it did explain a lot.