Chapter 22

-Alex-

I woke up with a small smile spreading across my face. I looked down and saw Amber still sleeping soundly in my arms. Having shifted so "flawlessly and without much pain" as Alpha Adam had put it, they wanted me to stay on the property to keep an eye on Xavier and I. My parents visited my "sessions" with the Alpha regularly, while helping fill in the details of what they'd left out over the years -- my mom being part wolf the second biggest one. 

There were new things I felt and sensed since I had shifted. Scents were stronger, my reaction time was faster and precise, I could hear and make out what people whispered from across the room, I felt lighter on my feet and agile. Not to mention the emotions I felt towards certain things. Things that would irritate me to no end before now only annoyed me a little. I felt more protective over friends and family. And the feelings I had towards Amber? My mate? I didn't tell her, though I had a feeling she already knew, those feelings of being protective and possessive had increased tenfold. I'd have almost been uneasy towards the whole matter if Xavier hadn't been so pro-active in it all. He wasn't taking over, but he was definitely present a lot more. Especially when Amber was teasing us. I chuckled, remembering the previous night.

She became such a tease and it was all I could do to not... well... let's just say Xavier had some punishments in mind. But right now, he was purring very loudly. I found it odd that he made such a noise, due mostly to the fact that he was a wolf.

'If you're going to be annoying, go back to sleep,' he growled softly.

I chuckled inwardly, 'What? Can't a guy voice his opinion?'

He growled again. 'I was sleeping so nicely next to our mate. You just had to go and ruin it, huh?'

I mentally shrugged. 'Sorry. If its such a big deal I'll let you be.'

'Please?' He asked quietly.

I was a little startled at his voice. I guess I didn't know just how much – Jackie, I think Amber's wolf was named – meant to him.

'She means everything...' he said softly.

I nuzzled her neck with my nose, causing her to snuggle closer to me. This time I didn't complain when Xavier started purring again. I personally felt like I could move mountains by her side.

Amber moaned softly, making me smile wider. She was adorable when she slept. It was so peaceful considering how feisty she was when she was awake.

'Okay, yeah, we're whipped,' I said.

Xavier growled, but I could almost hear the laugh behind it. 'Way to ruin the moment... again.'

'Well, it's true.'

'Whatever.'

"What are you smiling about?"

I looked down again and saw Amber looking up at me. I didn't realize that she was awake.

"Xavier." I put simply.

She rolled her eyes, then sat up with a yawn. "What time is it?"

I glanced at the clock on her nightstand. "7:23"

"In the morning?" She asked, her eyes widening.

I nodded. Then spat out the fuzz that landed in my mouth when she hit me with her pillow.

"Why'd you wake me up so early?" Amber complained. "It's Sunday, we don't even have school tomorrow. Or all week! This means that YOU DON'T WAKE ME UP BEFORE 10:00!"