Chapter 47

-Alex-

Jack was behind me, making sure we weren't ambushed from a side that I wasn't looking in. We never knew what wolf or hunter may have been stupid enough to come after us and we didn't have the time for a major altercation.

It wasn't warm anymore like it used to be. The colors of fall had started to brush through the trees, turning them into firey colors, mixing in with what was left of the bright greens. Leaves fell silently as we made our way away from the fighting, chasing after some kind of dark figure.

"What happens once we catch up to him? Or... her?" Jack asked, keeping his rifle raised.

I shook my head. "I wish I knew. I'm honestly hoping that they will lead us to this witch of theirs. If we kill her, we have a much better chance of winning this fight."

"And if they don't?"

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there," I muttered, keeping an eye through the sight of my rifle.

We kept following the trail of coldness that seeped into the warm air. It wasn't a winter like cold, it felt like a sense of dread that fed on any light that someone had left within them. It was dark, and we could easily guess who it was.

"And Witches don't smell like a walking corpse," Jack had said.

So here we were, hunting something that had the very high potential to kill both of us.

"Yet, we are ready," Xavier said, growling with pure determination.

I internally nodded to him and kept my eyes open for anything that dared to move within my line of sight.

I looked over at Jack, who winced and held his head a little.

"You okay?" I asked.

He nodded. "Sierra is throwing a fit. She's threatening to tell Amber what we're doing."

I rolled my eyes. "If either of them have a problem, tell them that they can take it up with Adam."

"He told us to go after the witch, not Falcon."

"Duly noted," I muttered, pressing on.

"Aren't you afraid?"

I shook my head, grinning sheepishly as I faced him. "No, I'm not afraid. I'm absolutely terrified."

~*~

-Amber-

I stood back-to-back with Sierra, facing the ever-increasing number of rogues around us.

"We can't keep this up much longer," Sierra growled.

"Agreed," I said, gripping the knife in my hand even tighter. "But we just need to do it long enough for Alex and Jack to take care of a certain bitch."

"Don't you mean witch?"

I shrugged with a grunt, "That too."

I kicked a rogue away that had managed to shift and leap out at me. His buddy followed, only he was in human form. I spun away from his knife, throwing my elbow into his gut, then sending an uppercut into his jaw, effectively knocking him out. Another one jumped and I had to duck as his claws missed me by mere centimeters. I whipped around and nailed him in the snout with the heal of my foot.

A blow to the back of my head had me sprawled on the ground, my back facing whatever danger that lay behind me. I was able to turn around just in time to see one of the pack's warriors grab the rogue behind me and snap his neck quickly before pulling out his pistol and shooting two others that had been advancing.