Chapter 48

-Alex-

By the Moon Goddess, if you're out there, help me.

And then I let the arrow fly...

I watched in great desperation as it sailed through the clear blue sky. One wouldn't know what horrors were going on today by how nice the day seemed. It was almost as if the world was calm, despite the raging going on within everyone's mind. Despite what was happening in this world. The sky was a calm blue and the clouds were small and few. It was almost a perfect fall day. Even from the top of the trees birds could be heard chirping and going about their business even with the chaos around them. Outside of our territory, people were continuing their day, my classmates were likely sitting in class either bored or trying to pass the midterms that I knew I was going to fail.

Yet there I was, watching a thin piece of carbon-fiber material with a pointed tip and bright colored feathers sail through the air, scratches and minor cuts from the few encounters of rogues and hunters that Jack and I ran into along the way starting to sting. My heart was racing and each beat having the pounding to match. I was there, fighting amongst a shadow war that six months ago I'd have never dreamed of. Fighting to keep safe the one person that I had grown to care so deeply for. Time had seemed to slow down for that moment, the energy of the bow still humming in my hand after the arrow's release. The scent of pine mixed with blood and steel. The soft breeze that seemed to have died down just in time for my shot.

If it hadn't been for the elements around me that played with my senses, I'd have believed that I was dreaming. I'd believe that I'd wake up back home in my bed to an alarm sounding, telling me to get up and get on with the day. I'd go to class, think about some excuse to tell my parents on why I didn't have a college picked out yet, eat dinner, hang out with Jack for a short amount of time and maybe play some video games.

I'd return home and lay on my bed, hoping for a decent night's sleep instead of nightmares. I'd get lucky and wouldn't have any, waking up the same and going about the routine all over again. It didn't seem boring at the time, yet it had turned into such a mundane thought. That part was over and the crazy scene where I found myself perched atop a tree shooting arrows at strange wolf-beings was my new life.

And frankly, I didn't mind. Not any more. I had a few new faces in my life and a new purpose. I knew what I wanted and of all things, it was my new life. Despite its downsides, it had far too many positive aspects that I couldn't find myself not wanting. Even with the rather moody and closed-off wolf spirit that I'd lived with for so long, thinking I was just crazy.

I was ready to end the madness I was in and get back to the better part of my new life.

Time returned and the arrow continued on its deadly arc just out of sight somewhere on the form that was carrying my mate. A loud screech was yelled through the air, and it plummeted from the sky.

Nailed it.

I jumped from the tree and shifted into my wolf form to find where they crashed. Although she had the same capabilities as I did as far as healing went, it was still a high fall. If our roles were reversed I'd imagined that I would break a bone or two on the way down. I hoped to the Moon and back that Amber was at least still breathing. I knew that no matter what happened, she would be harmed in one way or another. All wounds would heal, and I would be there for her through the whole thing. But she needed to be alive for that to happen.

I reached an area that looked like the trees had had a giant bowling ball rip through them. I shifted back and pulled off the blade that I had strapped to my back earlier, unsheathing it. I cast aside the casing, stepping through broken trees and battered shrub, the acrid scent of Falcon being very close.