Chapter 20

-Alex-

I sat through the whole day, going over what I was going to say, and I went over every possible outcome, making sure I wouldn't screw up.

'You couldn't even if you wanted to.' Xavier growled softly. 'I'd take over before you did.'

I rolled my eyes. 'Oh, thank you so much for your undying faith in me.'

I think he was about to respond with another remark when the bell rang. I shoved him out of my thoughts for the moment and ran to catch up to Amber.

"Amber, wait!"

She took one look in my direction before running off. I simply ran after her. I was vaguely aware of Brandon trying to stop me, but I simply shoved him out of the way. Either he was too stupid to learn the first time or I threw him too hard for him to remember.

"Amber, talk to me, please!" I pleaded, catching up with her.

"I said it already, Alex, you already told-"

"No, I didn't," I said calmly.

She was about to say something when I noticed a group of men approach us. I could almost feel Amber tense up as they approached.

'Rogues!' Xavier snarled.

What the hell is a rogue?

"Well, what do we have here?" One of them said.

"Looks like our job is easier, boys," another chuckled darkly.

I narrowed my eyes, stepping in front of Amber. I didn't care what she thought of me, there was no way in hell I'd let them even touch her.

"What do you want?" I asked.

They all seemed to laugh, a couple of them shifting. I noticed that somehow there wasn't anyone around, despite class just getting out. 

"Oh, just the two of you... dead. Sorry, It's nothing personal. Just our Alpha's orders."

And with that, they lunged.

I tried to get Amber out of the way, but it was too late. I growled loudly as one punched me hard, knocking me down onto the ground. It was as if time seemed to slow down as they got to Amber. I watched helplessly as she tried to fight them off, but she wasn't too effective. It looked like every time she tried to shift, one of them hit her back into her human self.

It was when she let out a loud yelp, followed by the most painful whine I had ever heard that I lost all control. I felt as if I took a fresh breath of air as something inside me snapped. I had tunnel vision as the world turned red around me. I had lost all cognitive control and I didn't care. Xavier no longer seemed to be the entity that lived within me; no he was the animal that I had wanted to suppress. Except now, I let go of the leash.

Jumping up, I ran to the nearest rogue and ripped him away from his friends. I didn't bother giving him a second look as I heard his neck snap so easily. I felt nothing as I tore open another rogue's neck with my teeth, just then realizing that my hands were now paws, and I had a muzzle. I kept attacking one after another, leaving each one dead, snarls filing the air like a swarm of bees.

When there was one left, I tore a chunk out of his shoulder and pinned him on his back, my teeth dangerously close to his neck.

"Tell your Alpha that if he so much as touches my mate again, I will rip his sorry ass limb from limb. Do I make myself clear?" I didn't speak through my mouth or as actual words. It was like I was cramming my thoughts into the rogue's head whether he accepted it or not.