Chapter 5

-Alex-

Whatever it was that had Amber blushing so much, deserved a much-needed thanks. I couldn't control anything about what I felt for her. My heart practically did jumping jacks when she blushed yet again.

Damn it! What was wrong with me?

"So are you planning on sharing, or are you gonna hog this fine lady all to yourself?" A voice behind me asked. One that I was never particularly happy to hear.

I turned to face my most un-friendly friend, Damion. I just nodded in greeting to him. "Damion."

He flashes one of his wicked smiles in my direction. I can almost see the hidden smirk behind it. I never cared for him when it came to girls. He was your classic one-night-stand kind of guy. The last time we had a new girl, he had her pulled in faster than you could say hook-up and then he dropped her like a hot rock. I felt something stir within me with the possible fact that he might do that to Amber. I didn't like it.

Damion's eyes turned to her like a hungry lion. "You... must be Amber."

She looked at him blankly. "You guessed right."

I could feel my nails digging into my palms. The whole time, he was sending his classic seductive looks her way. I only felt slightly relieved when she didn't seem to catch on.

"Now, exactly what are you doing here, with this guy, when you could be with someone like me who could rock your world?" Damion asked.

I felt myself growl at his remark. Both of their heads snapped in my direction. I was able to stop myself when I finally realized what I was doing, but it didn't startle me any less. I looked between the two, waiting for their reactions. Amber was the first to recover from her shock.

"Damion," she began, even though I don't remember her introducing himself to her, "I think it would be best if you left."

I think this startled Damion even more, but he simply got up and left, without another word.

"Amber... I swear I-"

"We'll talk about that later," she said, cutting me off. With that, she got up and left, leaving me beyond confused.

"What was that?" I asked my inner voice.

For the first time in my life, it did not reply.