Chapter 15

-Alex-

The feeling of an intense pain woke me up. I was so sick of feeling pain at this point, I just wished that my body would shut up. Maybe it might allow me to heal faster, and I healed quickly in my sleep. So there you go body, let me sleep so I can have you feeling good again!

But that wasn't the only thing. This little irritating beeping was ringing out, starting to make me feel crazy. And everything smelled like bleach and bad medicine. What hell-hole did I wake up in?

I opened my eyes a little but shut them quickly, the light all but blinding me from its harshness.

"You can open your eyes. I've dimmed the lights," a soft voice said.

I tried again and was able to open them about half-way.

"How are you feeling?" The same voice asked.

"Like I was hit by a truck and fell off into the gorge below," I replied, my voice sounding very hoarse. I tried to clear my throat, but it just caused more pain.

"Try to take it easy. You've been through a lot."

I was confused on what the female voice meant when I was suddenly flooded with the memories of what happened. Right up to when I blacked out.

"Amber!" I yelled out hoarsely, sitting up so fast the pain caused me to see nothing but white. Being the worried idiot I was, I was able to look past it after a brief moment.

There was a woman in the room, that called the nurse in, and she was trying to lay me back down. I felt the odd sensation of taking a side seat in my own body, and I growled.

"Where is she?!" I heard a voice ask. I realized that Xavier had taken over again. 

How did he keep doing that?

"Xavier," the woman said, looking us in the eye. "Your mate is fine. She is safe and outside waiting for you to wake up. You have been hurt and need to take it easy."

"I need to see her."

She nodded. "You will, but we need Alex back right now. Please."

I inhaled deeply and still felt myself sitting there.

"Now, Xavier." She said in a tone a little more forceful.

He didn't like being ordered around in the slightest, but I felt him take another breath before letting me take control. I fell back onto the bed with a sigh. He wasn't happy and I knew the next few hours were going to damn near kill me at the rate I was going. Finally being able to take in my surroundings, I realized that I was in a hospital-like room. It certainly didn't seem like one I'd been in before.

"Where am I?" I asked softly.

The woman smiled softly. "You're in our hospital. Like I said, you've been through a lot."

"Did Amber make it here okay?" I asked, still concerned.

She nodded, her smile widening. "Just fine."

"Did she bring me here?"

She nodded again.

"And who are you?"

"My name is Kristine." She answered patiently.

"Okay, answer me this one question then."

"Go for it."

I looked her in the eyes. "What the hell is going on?"

She shook her head, smiling. "I don't know if that's my place to say yet. But if you're anything like us, you've already heard what I've said to Xavier."