I Wish

(A/N: I don't know how to write angsty stories, so go easy on me 😬)

People always called you a hopeless romantic. They never knew why you jumped from person to person, they just thought you liked flings. You never told the true story, always keeping it to yourself. Whenever you began a new relationship, you'd laugh along with the joke, going about your day as a normal person. Until you got home, and your eyes flooded with tears. You had barely just stepped inside your apartment when you pressed your back against your door. Sliding down to sit against the wood, you thought of how much of a cliche this was. The words of others shouldn't hurt as much as they did, but they stung like fire.

Your name is (F/N) (L/N) and you were in love once, long ago. About 8 years ago, when you first started highschool, you fell in love with a certain boy. John was his name, a name that made your heart race and the tears come harder. You loved his sense of humour and how he was so nice to everyone. You talked to each other for a while, before he asked you to prom. From then, you two were the power couple of the school. You smiled at the fond memories of you two breaking into the teacher's lounge and stealing the cookies and donuts. John shoved 4 donuts into his hoodie pocket only to call and complain to you about how shitty that was. You laughed at him, calling him an idiot. Through tear filled eyes, you lookes up to the ceiling, looking at a glow in the dark star he put there. You two moved into this apartment after graduation, and he put the star there as a welcoming. Every night you two went to bed, you'd stand under the little star and make a wish. He always wished for silly things, like enough money to actually buy a house for you two, or a new pair of boots to add to his collection. You'd shake your head, giggling at his nonsense. He'd always ask for what you wished for, and you simply told him that you wished to never fall in love after him. He smiled down at you, a smile that made your heart flutter and your eyes shine. He'd kiss you under the star every night, saying that the wish had to come true.

You stared at that little star, the tears lightening. You cleared your throat, taking a few breaths of air. The reason you had jumped from so many people was because you wished you would never fall again, and John's kisses made it come true. You wished that he was still around, but it was too late for that. Two years ago he died. You wished he had stayed home just a little bit longer, but the wish wouldn't come true. "I told you I'd never fall in love again." you said, your voice hoarse from the strain.

"I won't fall in love, just for you."