Apocalypse

It was nothing but a pure accident. John and Jaren tried to shoot some zombies that had overtaken a couple of their group members, and accidentally shot one. A loud shriek, not from a zombie, but from a human, rang out into the musty air. Jaren shot the last of the living dead and the two hurried over to see who had been a goner. Craig and Marcel kneeled hunched over a body, and upon closer inspection, John felt his chest seize at the familair face. Laying on the ground was (Y/N), the girl who he had caught feelings for. His eyes trailed over her arms and landed on her side, where her hand rested over the hole the bullet entered.

He shoved Craig out the way, the man making a sound of disapproval. The (h/c) girl on the ground gasped and moaned, trying to fight through the pain. She writhed as she bled out, trying everything in her power to keep the blood inside of her. Her eyes shot open, and she looked up at the man leaning over her. For a moment, she felt like a child, having just skinned her knee and needing comfort. But she wasn't a child, and this was no skinned knee. She was terrified, she had no idea what was going to happen. She composed herself, taking a moment to gain the strength to speak.

"J-John... Am I going to die?" she stumbled, the action making her injury worse. John felt tears in his eyes, and he studied her face. He could see that she tried fighting, that she wanted so desperately to live. But as her skin paled, he could tell she wasn't going to make it. Sitting back, he pulled her gently into his lap, trying to make her comfortable. He could feel the hot tears falling on his cheeks, but he powered through them, wanting to make sure she was at peace. "You'll be okay, (Y/N), everything's going to be okay. You'll make it, I promise everything inside me, you'll get through this." John said, his voice breaking off at the end. (Y/N) smiled, looking at him. "Good... good." (Y/N) smiled. Her face scrunched slightly as she looked at him. She raised a hand, the pain no longer hurting. Infact, she really couldn't feel anything. Her hand made contact with John's cheek, and she wiped his tears with her thumb. "John, don't cry. You promised me I would be alright." she said, trying to comfort him.

(Y/N) felt tired, her body completely spent. She sighed, moving her hand from John's face to rest on her stomach. She knew, of course, even though he promised she'd make it, she wasn't going to. It didn't take an idiot to figure it out. Her eyes batted closed, and she breathed quietly. "John, I love you." she muttered, reopening her eyes and looking at him. John sobbed quietly, his tears spilling onto the body in his lap. "I love you, too." he managed to get out, pulling her closer to him. Enveloped in the warmth of John, (Y/N) closed her eyes again. She felt her lungs start to seize, but she didn't panic. Instead, she smiled, taking her last breath in his arms. John pulled back to look at her, his eyes widening slightly. "(Y/N)? (Y/N)!" he yelled, realizing that she had died. He sat with her on his lap, his arms protectively around the girl. He didn't dare put her down, instead just sobbing quietly.

John took off the VR mask, visibly shaken by the game. He had just purchased the new tech, which put him into the game simulation. He didn't understand why he had chosen the game, but he did. He set the mask down and removed the body attachment he needed to transport into the game. John wasted no time practically running to his bedroom, opening the door to his bedroom. Relief washed over him as he saw the body laying in his bed, and he made his way to it. (Y/N) was alive and well, just dead asleep under the covers. John watched her chest raise and lower slowly, his heartbeat slowing down. Everything was alright. He smiled and shook his head, crawling over her sleeping form. Pulling her close, he hugged her, trying to protect her from the world. He'd get rid of the game in the morning, but for now, he'd sleep peacefully know that (Y/N) was still here beside him.