Chapter 2: Names

It had officially been 5 days since John's neighbor had moved in. He'd been avoiding her like the plague, only leaving his house when her car was gone or when she wasn't outside. 'So much for getting over the embarrassment.' he thought to himself, rolling his eyes at his behavior. Where was the John that didn't get flustered so easy? The John who would have just brushed this off and went on about his life regularly. It was stupid, he was acting like a teenager. He needed to put on his big boy pants and just get over it. Which would have been easy, except it only seemed to become for difficult each time he looked at her.

It was like seeing her for the first time everytime he looked at her. She was like a goddess to him. He undeniably liked her, and yet, didn't even know her name. Shit, he didn't know her name. John smacked his forehead, rolling his eyes at his behavior. He'd always just referred to her as "The Cute Neighbor" or "The Girl With The Dog Who Knocked Me Over And I Have Still Yet To Speak To Her". He needed to grow a pair and learn her name. His opportunity came as he saw her step outside her home with Archie, about to take him on a walk. He mustered up his courage and forced himself outside. She stood on the sidewalk, standing at her mailbox. There was no turning back now. John shuffled to his own mailbox, trying not to stare at the woman. He glanced over for a second, and his eyes caught hers. The girl flashed him a small smile, waving. The man waved back, his mind blanking for a second.

The new girl walked up to him, the smile still on her face. "Long time, no see." she said playfully. John blinked, and chuckled. "Yeah... I've been busy with some things." the man replied, looking away. Silence sat in the air. "Look, I'm sorry that I kind of ran away from you like that the other day." John apologized, looking into her eyes. "No worries, I honestly would have done the same." the (h/c) girl giggled. Heat rose to John's cheeks. That laugh rendered him silent. "I think you ran off before I could get your name. I'm (y/n)," the girl gestured to her pet, "and of course you know Archie." '(Y/n)? God even her name was cute.' John thought to himself. "I'm John. Uh, again, I'm sorry. I gotta split." John said, turning towards his home. "Bye John~" the girl sang, waving at him. "See ya, fam." the man said, ducking into his house. "Fam? What the hell?" he asked himself. He didn't see (Y/n) linger for a moment, smiling at the closed door, shaking her head.