Moving On

John layed on the grass, something he hadn't done in a while. One arm cradled his head, and the other layed against his stomach. It was 2 in the morning, and no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't go to sleep. Instead, his eyes traced the stars above him. The bugs and night birds filled the dark night air with their songs, but the man paid them no mind. They became senseless background noise as he sighed, his eyes focused once again on the star filled sky. He didn't know what he was looking for, but he still tried.

Footsteps on grass disturbed the night life, stopping suddenly beside him. He never stopped tracing the stars, not even when the person laid beside him, resting their head on his chest. A cool chill spread over his skin, raising the hairs on his arm and neck. "John, what are you doing?" the person asked softly, rubbing patterns on his clothed chest. "I'm looking." he said, short and simple. The other person giggled softly. A smile tugged at his mouth, though quickly disappeared. "For what?" the voice asked. John was quiet for a moment, looking for a reply. "An answer?" he replied, unsure of it himself. Silence filled the air again, the harmony of night creatures starting up once more.

"You can stare at the stars all you want, but you won't find what you're looking for." the other person said, lifting themselves into John's view. Their (length) (h/c) hair stayed perfectly in place, as if gravity wasn't a thing. The man's throat tightened, causing him to try to clear his throat. "I know." he acknowledged, his voice cracking softly. He brought his hazel eyes to look at the (e/c) orbs infront of him. As soon as he did, the tears came like a faucet.

"John, move on. I'll be okay." (Y/n) whispered, rubbing some tears away. "I can't." he whispered, too scared to speak normally. "Yes you can. You're the only one holding you back. I want you to." the figure said, sitting back. John rose up into a seated position, staring at the apparition. "But I can't. You don't understand. I love you too much. Every day that goes by I can't get you out of my head. I see your stuff in my room and I can't look away. It hurts too much, and without you, I'll never be myself again." he ranted, voice raised slightly. "You were everything to me, and then you just weren't there. It's hard to move on when everything you loved just goes away. I don't want to lose you, so I won't move on, and I never will." he finished, tears slowing.

The figure moved forward, taking the man in their arms. "John, I'm not asking you. I can't move on if you won't. It's been 5 months, I need to go. I want you to. I love you with everything in my body, and I want you to be happy. Don't think that you're letting me down. I'd be much happier if you did." The man didn't move. The tears had stopped as he thought about what they had said. His arms slowly wrapped around the body, pulling them closer. After a long silence, he cleared his throat. "Okay." was all he said. The figure pulled back, pressing their lips to his forehead. "Thank you." they whispered, slowly disappearing from his hold. John could only look at his hands as the person faded, feeling a little more relieved. He stood up from the grass, rubbing his fingers over the tombstone that read "Here lies (F/n) (L/n)" before walking out of the cemetary.