Chapter 9

Jax's P.O.V

I get out of my car and walk into the house. Ty walks up to me. "How was your night?" He asked. Maya looks at me. I smile (a fake smile) but I smiled.

"My night was great." I lied.

"Oh great, you're here," Nick said running up to me. He sees me and frowns. "You have your fake smile, Jax. What's wrong?" He asked. I looked at the ground.

"Someone is targeting your sister," Maya said sitting down on the island. Nick looked at her and down at my arm. He picked up my arm and looked at it. "I have to meet up with my brother. He is extremely worried about me and thinks he may have a lead on who it is." She said. I looked at her.

"You involved Dalton?" I asked.

"Jax I didn't have a choice. He called me last night asking me how the deal went. What was I suppose to do? Tell him I fell and cut my arm?" She asked.

"What exactly did you tell him?" I asked.

"That we were attacked." She said. I looked at Nick. "You know there are things that you should probably talk to my brother about. He can help you." She said.

"I told him and I'm telling you. I don't need his help. I'm not a charity case." I said walking downstairs. I took out my phone and dialed a number.

"Hello?" He said.

"First, stop using your sister for information about me. Second, what kind of brother sends his sister out on a run at midnight. Don't you have some flexible men? I don't know about you but my brother isn't replaceable to me." I ranted.

"Are you done?" He asked. I sighed. "How are you doing?" He asked.

"Stressed," I said honestly.

"Where are you right now?" He asked.

"In my room," I said.

"Are you alone?" He asked.

"Why?" I asked.

"Are you?"

"Yes."

"Lay on your bed." I laid back. "Close your eyes." He said. I closed my eyes.

"I don't see what this has to do with anything," I said.

"You're stressed out. I know what happened last night might have something to do with it. You need to lay there for a while and relax. Nothing in your mind. Not the guy who attacked you. Not the house payments." He said.

"Why do you even want to meet me? I'm no one special. And don't tell me it's because you like to know your friends or enemies because I'm sure there are some gang leaders you don't know." I said.

"There are a few I don't know and I don't have to meet you to know you. I know how badly Sara fucked up the gang and I want to see if it's worth keeping. If you can bring the gang back on the grid then it's worth an alliance." He said.

"Any reason why Blane told me not to get the alliance? And don't tell me you don't know who I'm talking about because he knew you and I think you know him." I said.

"Blane and I don't really get along." He said.

"Care to tell me why?" I asked.

"Meet with me and I'll explain it to you." He said.

"I've known Blane for 2 years and that's 2 years more then I've known you. I'll take my chances not knowing." I said.

"Blane isn't to be trusted, Jax." He said.

"Oh, and you are? I don't even know you. I know more about Blane then I do about you. And that's says a lot because he's a closed book." I said.

"There are things you don't know about him, Jax." He said.

"If you can't tell me right now then I have nothing left to say to you," I said. Silence is all I heard. I shook my head. "That's what I thought. Goodbye Dalton." I said hanging up the phone. I then realized my eyes were still closed. I opened them in time for a knock to be heard on my door. I looked over to see Maya.

"I didn't mean to make you mad Jax. I'm just worried about you. You're the first real friend I've had since I moved to this town. If you're being targeted and theres something I can do to help find out who it was who put this target on your back then I'm gonna try." She said.

"What do you know about Blane and Dalton's fight?" I asked. She looked confused and sat at the edge of the bed.

"Nothing besides they were friends before Sara. She played them both like puppets. Saying something in one's ear and totally different thing in the others. Blane was the worst. He was easily mutilated. She told him to put a bounty on his own brother and he did for something he thought was love." She said. I looked at the ground.

"How weird would it be that the same night Sara introduced me and Blane that a bounty was placed on Nick?" I asked. She looked at me.

"That doesn't sound right. You think maybe Blane was the one to put the bounty on him?" She asked.

"Sara did put me in his direction when I told her. Said it was my only easy option. Just for a simple favor." I said.

"And you becoming gang leader was a set up by Sara?" She asked. I stood up.

"Where's Nick?" I asked.

"He went outside to look at my car." She said. We both ran up the steps and walked outside. Nick looked up at me. He stood up just as a van stopped right next to him. 3 men got out and grabbed him. He punched one but one snuck up from behind and placed a white cloth to his mouth. By the time Maya and I reached them, he was already in the van and it was driving off. "Caleb," Maya said. I looked at her.

"What?" I asked.

"That was Caleb driving the car." She said.

"You knew him? How?" I asked.

"He's my ex. That was Dalton's gang." She said. I grew angered. I throw her my keys.

"You're driving me to him," I said getting into the car.