Chapter 24

Maya's P.O.V

I lean my head on the back window as Kane Brown Use To Love You Sober played through my headphones. Tears were now tried on my cheeks and every now and then they would fall. I would catch Liam's eyes through the mirror on the door outside of the car as he watched me but I was too angry with him. The car stops at a gas station and Caleb asks Liam to go get snacks and pay for gas. I get out of the car and get in the passenger seat. I turn to Caleb as he watches me. I take out my headphones. 

"Bring me home." He sighs. 

"Maya I can't. Dalton maybe my boss but he's also a friend. Even though you and I aren't together I still care about you and I think taking you out of town is the best thing for you." I scuff and turn away from him. 

"You're unbelievable." I breathed. 

"I know you don't like this any more than I do because I'm your ex but please just listen. You know Dalton better than anyone do you think he's going to die? He won't leave you alone in the world. I've seen what your brother will do for you and I know damn well he is going to make it through this." I look back at him. "But he won't do that if he has to worry about you. He doesn't want to give Sara a chance on using you against him. He's already got to worry about Jax." I sighed. 

"I just want him to be okay." I cried. He pulled me in his arms as much as the seats let him. 

"And he will be. He is stronger than most people think." He said. I took a few deep breaths as he pulls away. He wipes my tears and sighs. "I hate that we didn't work out." He whispers. I stare into his eyes as he searches mine. I move his hand. 

"What we had was great but what Liam and I have is better. I love him more than I thought I ever could. I'm sorry Caleb." He nods. 

"I know. And you don't have to be. He's good for you. Better than I ever was." I took a deep breath and got out of the car. Liam walks out of the store as Caleb goes in to use the restroom. Liam looks at me but I look down. 

"Everything okay?" He asked as he walked up to me. I look up at him. "I saw you and him... In the store." I swallowed hard. 

"I love you, Liam. I know this is my first time ever telling you and it isn't a good time to do so with my ex-boyfriend around but I do. I hate that you made me leave my brother when he needed me the most but I love that you did it for me. Things with Caleb and I were complicated at first but everything became less complicated when I met you. I know I need you more than I ever did so can we just skip whatever fight that is bound to happen and can you just kiss me?" He smiles and he sets the bags of food in the car. He walks up to me and pulls my face to his. 

"I love you too beautiful." He breathed against my lips. I melt into his touch and he pulls me closer. I stare up at his green orbs as he pulls away. "I have to pump gas real quick." He said. I nod and watch him walk over to the pump. I sighed as I catch Caleb's stare from the store window. He looks down and opens the door. I looked down tasting bitter on my tongue. There was no way I was gonna win with these guys. My phone rings and I look down at it. I smile as Dalton's name pops up. 

"Still mad at me?" He whispered. I closed my eyes. 

"No."

"Good. How are you doing?" He asked in a whisper.

"I'm doing good for the time being. We are about halfway there. What are you doing? Why are you whispering?" I asked?

"Jax is asleep next to me." He said. I smiled.

"You finally got to her huh?" I said.

"Yeah, I guess so." I giggled.

"I'm glad you're finally happy."

"I'm happier than you are safe. I'll see you in a few days, Maya." I let a tear escape knowing there's a possibility I may not see him again.

"You can't promise that Dalton," I said even though my voice cracked.

"I can promise you that Maya. I will see you in a few days. I love you."

"I love you too," I said. I heard Jax's voice in the background. "I'll let you go."

"Alright, sis. Try and get some sleep and keep your mind off of everything." He said.

"I will try. Goodnight Dalton."

"Goodnight Maya." I hung up the phone and was pulled into a pair of arms.

"It's going to be okay baby," Liam said. I swallowed a lump in my throat. He kissed my cheeks as more tears fell.

"Why would he make a promise that he can't keep?" I cried.

"Baby if he made a promise you know he's going to keep. When was the last time he broke a promise that he made you?" He asked me. I looked up at him. "Never? Right? So why would he start now?" I took a deep breath. "He is going to be fine." He said. I nodded.

"Okay." He gave me a small smile.

"Sorry to break this up but if we don't get in New York soon then we won't have back up if Sara plans on getting to us," Caleb said. Liam looked at him confused.

"You have back up in New York?" He asked.

"Dalton has a gang in New York that Caleb is in charge of. Which is the reason why Dalton asked Caleb to take me out of town." I explained. Liam nodded.

"Maya do you want to drive? I'm too tired and you know the way there." Caleb asked. I sighed and wiped my tears. He tossed the keys which Liam caught. Liam handed them to me.