Mourning Lord Third

I wake up the next morning slowly and happen to hear someone softly breathing next to me. Surprised my eyes fly open to see Neji fast asleep and I realise why I seem so sluggish this morning. I slept through the night without any nightmares which meant to my body that I overslept. I carefully get off my bed before grabbing a change of clothes and go to the bathroom. Once I finish my daily routine I pull my hair into a bun at the base of my neck before leaving the bathroom to see Neji standing outside my door. He has a confused look on his face as he looks around until I make my presence known by clearing my throat. He looks my way and I see a bit of concern hidden his eyes that minimises seeing that I'm walking by myself. I give a lazy grin before motioning to the kitchen with my head and pulling some of the food I previously prepared in case something like this happened. I softly hum as I get three bowls put together and heat them up so they're warm instead of ice cold from the fridge. I hold a bowl in my hand about to turn when Neji decides to break the silence.

"Did you forget what today is?" He says softly yet my world crashes and the bowl begins falling from my hand when Uncle Shi catches it.

"It has slipped my mind. I'll be back."

I slip down the hall and into my room before opening my closet pushing all the clothes to the front revealing a barely used garnment. I pull the soft fabric out of the closet before quickly changing into the dark as night kimono that I have for funerals. I pull my hair down from it's bun before quickly plaiting it with a sad smile. Ojii-san once mentioned how much younger I looked to him with my hair plaited down my back and how he loved to see me with it plaited. I pull on my sandals before slipping back into the kitchen to nibble on what I had reheated after feeling my stomach rebel against me. I sense Neji has left when Uncle Shi places a hand on the top of my head as he sets his dish in the sink.

"Would you like to visit your mother before the funeral?"

I nod and we leave the apartment before walking down to where the K.I.A. stone rests with new names added to it. I calmly sit in front of the stone and look at the new names before tracing my mother's name. Sorrow fills me quickly as I glance at their team member names etched into the stone. After some time I begin meditating only to hear someone softly coming toward us and open my eyes.

"Are those for Hayate?" Uncle Shi asks softly without turning around.

I whip around and move forward with a sad smile seeing Hayate's girlfriend standing there with flowers and no Anbu mask. I purse my lips preventing myself from crying knowing that's what she wants to do and she won't allow her to do as well. She slips by me before patting my head with a small smile and placed the flowers in front of the K.I.A. stone. I slip over to Uncle Shi's side and latch onto his side waiting for us to finally go to the Hokage's funeral.

"The Hokage's funeral has probably already started and you should be there."

"You're here for Obito, right? Why didn't you come earlier so you'd be on time for the funeral."

"We did come early. We've been here all morning."

I give a small smile before we walk to the Hokage's funeral and I move to stand with the other genin from my class. I end up next to Shikimaru and Neji which makes me give a small smile at seeing them. We sand there as the service progresses and I feel my fury mounting over the fact that Orochimaru slew his sensei so easily. I choke feeling the curse mark activate once more and a strangled gasp finds its ways past my lips making Neji, Shikimaru, and Kakashi look my way. They all realise what is going on and I try to fight the mark from surfacing even more as both Shikimaru and Neji grab onto my hands without a thought. I squeeze their hands in thanks as we wait for the service to finish and I hope I'll be able to walk to place my flower down. The longer it draws out I can feel myself growing fatigued as I continue fighting the curse mark from making an appearance in front of everyone. I close my eyes taking a deep breath to draw on some of the last strength I have when it's time for us to walk forward. I look to Uncle Shi distressed knowing I won't be able to walk forward on my own until my eyes widen when someone picks me up. Uncle Shi smirks making me purse my lips before turning to see who picked me up.

"Neji, you can't carry me up there!" I hiss knowing how people will view him if he does this and I won't drag him down with me.

"You can't make it up there yourself and you cared about him more than most people. If someone says anything than let them because you're fighting something they don't know about considering it's classified. You're getting better at controlling the mark the longer you have it so you should be proud of that. I imagine your mother would be proud of you for fighting it instead of giving yourself over to it."

"Thanks, Neji." I whisper softly with a small smile as the line begins moving forward.

The few people who actually know me and see Neji carrying me look worried for me even though I give them a smile. We're almost to where we place the flowers down when someone decides to speak out making my hold on Neji tighten. I knew this was going to happen and there isn't any way I could have changed Neji's mind about it with him being so stubborn.

"If she isn't strong enough to be here she shouldn't be! It's a disgrace to Lord Third to be weak and showing herself here!"

I bury my face in Neji's shoulder after placing my flower down and Neji carefully puts his down. These people can't truly understand me and that hurts, but I have to push past this. What they think does not matter because I have people who accept me as I am without a thought. Neji allows me to stand on my own, but keeps an arm around me just in case my legs decide to give out.

"Hush you fool. That young girl was the only one who protected my father when no one was able to!" I hear Asuma say scathingly.

"Well she must have failed horribly and it's her fault that our Hokage has died!" Another villager says in response to Asuma's words.

"Shut up! You know not what you are speaking of and are only making assumptions. Yuki would have given her life for hers if she was able to and the Hokage would not allow her. She was severely injured by the enemy who attacked the Hokage and had to watch as he was killed while she was powerless to do anything." Neji spits out and I sense his anger through his chakra making me look at him.

I look at Neji shocked by how angry he is and see his eyes soften when he looks at me causing me to give a soft smile. I lean against him gratefully making him heave a soft sigh knowing I won't let him speak out anymore. Once everyone has placed their flower down the group begins dispersing at a slow pace. I see Konohamaru trying not to cry again and slowly slip over to him making Neji make a noise of protest against me walking on my own. I kneel in front of Konohamaru and Iruka with a sad smile seeing the little boy I see as my little brother crying.

"Otouto it's going to be okay."

Konohamaru turns my way before launching himself into my arms making me grunt. I stand up shakily as he holds on tightly to me and I slowly rock him to sleep. Once he falls asleep Asuma comes forward with a soft smile before picking Konohamaru up out of my arms and pats my head as he goes home. I can feel my legs weaken and move to catch myself, but there is no need considering Neji catches me. I hear Shikimaru sigh as Neji picks me up despite the fact that I cross my arms over my chest.

"Troublesome woman you should know better than to over exert yourself. If it was one of us you would be upset and watch over us until we were better."

"Otoutou was sad and I had to help him feel better if only for a short time. That's what an older sibling does for their younger sibling, isn't it?"

"You're gonna get yourself killed one day worrying over everyone except for yourself. You should go home and sleep to regain your strength." Neji replies as he carries me home.