twenty-two

Rose
Two hours after the fight with Melody, I returned to the apartment. I had been away the rest of the evening just to calm down a bit. I had cancelled work as my head simply couldn't handle everything properly anymore.

Tears had been streaming all over my face and I still felt miserable after hours of crying. However, feelings were slowly coming back to me and instead of feeling anger and disappointment, I felt guilt.

Although I knew I hadn't done something wrong, I still felt guilty. I had shouted at my best friend like it was nothing, like to me, it didn't matter. But it did.

I reached for the keys in my pocket and opened the door slowly, looking around for Melody.

However, she wasn't at home. I assumed she'd be with Max and lay down on the couch. I was completely exhausted and I just wanted to sleep, which I did. I closed my eyes, trying to forget everything and just fall asleep, peacefully.

- 2 hours later -

I vaguely heard the sound of my phone, someone was calling me. My eyes fluttered open and I sleepily grabbed it, answering the call.

"Hmm.. hello?" I asked, hoping I wouldn't sound too tired.

"Rose, it's me. Is Melody with you?" . I instantly recognized Max's voice and felt tempted to just hang up as I wasn't in the mood to talk to him. However, I decided to stay on the call with Max as he sounded concerned about something.

"Erm.. no she isn't, why?"

"Because she isn't with me either and she doesn't respond to my calls. I'm worried, it's cold outside and besides, it's in the middle of the night." He stated.

"Oh.. well I'm afraid I can't help you." I replied, ignoring the nauseous feeling inside my stomach.

"Oh come on Rose.. Melody is your best friend, okay? Can't you just help me and at least 'act' like you care about her?"

"Max I don't think you understand any of it. Melody indeed is my best friend, but we had a fight and separated, which basically means that we're not together and we didn't speak, or anything."

"But.. that means- god, what if something bad happened to her?"

"She's probably just fine. I was just sleeping so if you want to excuse me?"

"What the fuck, Rose? We had sex, alright? Several times. Just don't be so childish and care about your best friend. She forgave you when you were doing dirty stuff with James, why can't you do the same?"

Max's hard tone made that my eyes watered again, and I nervously nibbled on my lower lip.

"She only forgave me because she knew she was doing dirty things too!" I hissed.

"You really think so? Oh you're naive, Rose. You know- just never mind. You can go back to sleep and I'll just try to find her myself." Max said slightly annoyed.

"No, wait, come see me at Melody's apartment in 10 minutes"

"Great.. thank you, see you soon."

Max ended the phone call and I sighed in frustration and concern. The only reason why I gave in, was because I still cared about Melody. Max was right and it wasn't something for her to just make others worried. Something was wrong, I felt it.