twenty-five

Daniel
"How did this happen? How can she just forget about everyone.. about me, just like that?!" Max hissed frantically, hitting his left foot against the wall in frustration.

I was about to respond, when Rose widened her eyes and approached us rapidly.

"What's going on, is Melody awake?" She asked, turning towards me and completely ignoring Max's attendance.

However, the one who answered the question, was Max.

"Melody is awake, yet you don't have be afraid she'll piss you off or isn't in the mood to talk to you. She doesn't remember anything anyway." Max said casually, shrugging his shoulders.

Rose applied to me, "is it true?" She asked shockingly.

I swallowed deeply and scratched the back of my neck subtly, "unfortunately, yes."

Rose her eyes welled up immediately and I calmed her down, not wanting her to get this 'panic attack' again.

"Hey, it's probably just temporarily, she just woke up and isn't very stabile yet." I crooked her a smile and she simply nodded.

I glared aside and saw James staring out of the window and he didn't seem to be listening to our conversation, maybe that was even for the better, not having another sad soul around.

- - -

Two weeks later Melody was still in hospital, due her broken limbs, her recovering from her wounds and her brain damage.

We'd all visited her a few times, but she actually had rather no company than being with us.

However, Rose and I had visited her most of the time together and without James and Max.

Whereas James went by almost everyday, Max barely showed up. He did in the beginning, visiting her very often, but Melody still didn't remember about him and every time he tried to explain the situation, she pointed him the door with welled up eyes.

So he refused to come by anymore.

But that didn't mean he forgot about her, that he'd turned back into the enthusiastic guy he'd always been. Instead, he just sat at home, lonely, staring out of the window or at the television whilst barely eating anything.

"Daniel, wake up"

I broke out of thoughts and glared over at Rose, who was giving me a lop-sided smile.

"I'm sorry, I was-"

Rose snickered quietly, "sunken in thoughts"

"Exactly"

I slammed the empty cup, which was earlier filled with coffee, down the table.

Me and Rose had had a drink in this little cafe together, like we did very often since what'd happened to Melody. It felt like we were helping each other by sharing our thoughts and thinking about the progression, which was barely there, that Melody had been going through in the last few weeks.

"Daniel? I'm talking to you,' she muttered in annoyance.

"Yeah I'm sorry.." I sighed deeply, a bit confused.

"You sure you're alright?" She asked concerned, raising her left eyebrow up.

"I'm sure.. don't worry about it" I dismissively said, placing my hand on her arm protectively, reassuring her that I was fine.