twenty-four

Daniel
A few hours later, we were still in the waiting room, which was filled with a lot of tension that made everyone feel sad and alone, even though we weren't, we had each other.

Rose had calmed down, like, two hours ago, and was now silent, just staring forwards. Everyone could tell she was deep sunken in thoughts and it felt like nobody, except the doctor, was able to break through her thoughts.

I glared through the room and found out everybody looked exhausted, like they desperately needed sleep.

I couldn't disagree, the bag under my eyes were clearly remarkable and it struck me that everyone else had them too.

Max was just staring forwards, what he had been doing for hours already. Rose had closed her eyes and was nervously rocking the chair back and forth, whilst James was tanning his fingers on his jeans.

However, nobody spoke and there wasn't any progression since the doctor came to inform us about Melody.

"Why does it take so damn long, I can't stand this anymore," Max suddenly complained, "does it really have to be this long before we can fucking see her?!" He raised his tone and exhaled deeply.

"I'm sure it won't take that long anymore," I faked a crooked smile, just to make sure Max wouldn't lose his mind.

"You're right," James exclaimed, "over there," he pointed out the doctor, who was quickly approaching us. It was the same doctor as before, luckily.

Everyone looked up with a nervous expression readable in their eyes.

"Good morning.. we've done some little checks on Melody, and she seems to be stabile, which means she's allowed to have visitors. Keep in mind to be calm, she isn't awake yet."

I pushed myself off the chair, just like the rest did, however the doctor quickly interrupted us.

"Erm, I'm sorry to tell you, but to avoid too chaotic situations, they're only two at the time allowed to visit Miss.Peterson. I'm sorry."

I pursed my lips into a thin line and tried to hide the disappointment burning inside me. Of course I knew I'd be the one who had to wait, as Max and Rose simply had a better reason to visit her, which I understood, obviously.

"Is it okay.. if we..?" Rose stood in front of me and arched her eyebrows, gesturing towards the corridor where Melody somewhere lay.

"Of course, I understand"

Rose nodded thankfully and followed Max, who had already left the waiting room.

I groaned and leaned back, closing my eyes again and sucking in my bottom lip, trying not to be too disappointed.

I glared aside at James, tears were slowly slipping down his cheeks and he quickly wiped them away as he noticed me watching him.

"It's okay, I understand it sucks.." I grimaced and patted him on the shoulder friendly, "we're all messed up now, really.."

James had grinned his teeth angrily before he groaned loudly and cursed under his breath.

"I just- I should be the one who's most important to Melody, I was pretty sure she liked me, but then Max showed up and ruined everything.." James suddenly spoke, folding his hands to fists in anger.

"I'm not sure if.."

"No.. I know what you're trying to say, that it wasn't Max his intention and all that bullshit. And it probably wasn't. But they still fell in love and if Melody dies or is badly brain damaged, the last thought of me won't be a lovely one." James spitted out and leant back to the wall, more tears were slipping from his cheeks.