twenty-nine

Melody
I sat down on a bench close to the water in the middle of a park, rubbing my temples in frustration.

Why was everything so damn hard?

I looked over the water and my mind drifted off to an hour ago, when I had this discussion with James and then, a few minutes later, a conversation with Daniel where he shared his feelings he has for me.

"Arghh" I groaned softly, closing my eyes and placing my head down in my hands.

"Everything okay?" A soft voice behind me asked concerned.

I turned around and faced Rose, who stopped running and walked over to me. She breathed rapidly and sat down next to me, slowly calming down. It was obvious that she was doing her daily run through the park.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine" I said, forcing a little smile and shrugging my shoulders.

She swung her legs over each other and studied my face thoroughly, "You sure? It seems like you've been crying?"

"Oh does it?" I asked innocently.

"Yeah, absolutely, because I'm pretty sure you have" she softly muttered.

"True" I groaned, rolling my eyes.

"Then why? Daniel told me you've had a tough conversation with James, is it because of that?" She asked curiously.

"Also, yes." I briefly answered.

"You're acting really weird, Mel. We've been best friends for a very long time already, you should know you can talk to me, right?" She quizzed, wiggling her eyebrows.

"I know that Rosie, but this is different. It's just everything, you know? When everything comes together at once, it drives me crazy" I explained.

"Oh"

"You know, the stupid behavior of James, the whole 'revealing' thing with Max, my accident, Dan- I mean, yeah those things" I stammered, feeling my cheeks burn as the secret between Daniel and I almost slipped out of my mouth.

"I think I understand" Rose retorted thoughtfully, nibbling her bottom lip.

The silence between us was peaceful and I felt myself relaxing a bit.

"How's your boyfriend doing?" Rose cut the silence and looked curiously at me.

"He's.. fine, I guess. Have you already heard about yesterday?" I asked, knowing that Rose had been working this morning.

Rose sat up straight and looked at me in confusion, "I don't think so, what happened?"

I cleared my throat before speaking, "James did something inappropriate again. He started a fight with Max, who is obviously much stronger, but because of the alcohol he couldn't react directly. His face is purple from all the bruises now," I explained.

Rose widened her eyes and squirmed in surprise, "No way! What happened next?"

"I don't know exactly, last night isn't very clear for me. But Max fought back and Daniel made sure he didn't kill James" I snickered sarcastically and shook my head in disbelief again.

"What is the matter with him, really?!" Rose asked.

"I wish I knew"

"But, you know, Dan did a good job" she subtly muttered.

"He did, yeah. You're close with him lately, aren't you?" I questioned, arching an eyebrow.

Of course I didn't forget the conversation from earlier, but I had to know how my best friend thought about him. Because if she didn't like Daniel, the whole 'shipping' thing, would be useless.