thirty nine,

Jaemin hadn't said anything about seeing Renjun that one day on campus, and it wasn't like it was obvious that they were seeing each other again, because Jaemin didn't hang out with the older boy at the restaurant a few days ago.

Now, it wasn't something scandalous, and it wasn't something Jeno should get worked up over, but he did get worked up over it. And there wasn't even a valid reason towards why.

All he knew was that something didn't settle right with him when it involved Renjun. Nothing against the elder male... At least for now.

"Nana," Jeno calls, rolling around in bed until his eyes land on where Jaemin was, sitting between Donghyuck's legs as he works on annotating a book. Donghyuck on the other hand was working on stroking fingers through Jaemin's hair, and the latter didn't seem phased at all. Jaemin looks up briefly at the mention of his name, looking up for a split second to meet Jeno's eyes before settling them on his book again.

"What's up?"

From his other side, Jeno can hear Mark seat himself on the bed again beside him, but he pays no mind to it. Or at least he tries not to pay any mind to it, but it's kind of hard to when Mark Lee has an arm around your shoulders, effortlessly pulling at your heartstrings.

"Your phone's blowing up."

It's something which he noticed when Jaemin was a few pages into his book, and he didn't want to mention it because he didn't want to disturb Jaemin. But it's been long enough, and his phone was still lighting up with notifications and whatnot. Whoever it was or whoever they were, Jeno doesn't know. It wasn't like he was a possessive person, because he's not, but Jeno has a brief idea of who this could be. And he wasn't going to let the opportunity to ask slip through his fingers.

"Is it?" Jaemin mumbles, reaching beside him to the large bedside table which was between the two beds, reading the notifications which were on his lock screen before smiling like a fool. "Didn't notice."

Jaemin doesn't say anything about what the notifications are, or who they're from, and it would be a lie if Jeno said he wasn't waiting for the younger to explain. It's not like he had to, and Jeno didn't have the right to pry, but he was just... Burning with curiosity and he wanted to know who it was.

Jeno's lips were pursed and he turns back around so that he was facing Mark, and starts some stupid conversation about the economics class they share. If Jaemin didn't want to tell him yet, that was fine. Maybe he wanted to say something when Mark and Donghyuck weren't there, or maybe he just didn't want to tell anyone anything at all right now. Whatever it was, Jeno respects that, as much as it eats at his insides and mind.

Jaemin tosses his phone back onto the bedside table, losing interest in the device quickly. He turns his attention back to Donghyuck, picking up his book and resuming his former position. Donghyuck does nothing but continue stroking Jaemin's hair, not seeming to care about whatever just happened.

And, well, that's fine, right? If it didn't bother Mark and Donghyuck that much, Jeno shouldn't be sweating over it.

——

It's Sunday evening, and Donghyuck was kissing Jeno.

Perhaps they could've at least found a better spot, somewhere which wasn't the encyclopaedia section of the campus library, but at least no one passed by that area. And plus, Jeno thinks that the two of them are hidden pretty well behind the shelves.

Except Donghyuck really has to go home and put the finishing touches on his essay, which was due the next day. Maybe he could've completed it earlier, but who was Donghyuck if he wasn't a procrastinator?

So he attempts to push Jeno away, failing when all the elder boy does is grab at his two wrists and lock them in his one hand. Donghyuck would find that attractive if they weren't in a quiet library.

"Jeno," he breathes out when the former's lips leave his mouth, trailing down to press searing kisses onto his jaw instead. "Let's go home," he gasps when Jeno bites down.

The elder doesn't say anything, all he does is press kisses back up to Donghyuck's face, pecking the latter's cheeks, forehead and nose before pressing a final one to his lips and moving off of the smaller. He then offers a hand and a sweet smile, as if he wasn't completely ravishing Donghyuck a few seconds prior.

"Let's go?" He asks softly.

Donghyuck glares.

But he latches onto Jeno's hand without much protest, leading the both of them out of the library.

When Jeno and Donghyuck are walking towards their dorm building, they end up walking past the beach. Jeno can't help but notice the mop of fading pink hair and striking black hair.

It was Mark and Jaemin.

The sight of Mark and Jaemin sitting with the elder's arm around Jaemin, pulling the latter in close until Jaemin's head was on his chest, reminds both Jeno and Donghyuck of the time they watched Mark and Jaemin's first date.

At that thought, Donghyuck realizes something.

"We haven't been on a proper date," he voices, looking at the elder's face for a reaction. But Jeno doesn't give anything away by his facial expressions. All Donghyuck can piece together is that realization also seems to hit Jeno, since his eyes blink multiple times. "I should take you out on a date." He adds, once again, checking for a reaction. And this tim eve gets one. Jeno's blushing red at the tips of his ears, cheeks slowly catching the red colour too.

"Okay," is all Jeno says, tugging on Donghyuck's hand and leading them towards the two others on the beach.

This draws a whine out of Donghyuck.

"Jeno~ I don't like the beach," he groans, nonetheless trailing behind the elder. He's being dragged really, so he doesn't have much of a choice.

"Yeah but you like them," Jeno retaliates, referring to Jaemin and Mark. Donghyuck doesn't have a retort against that, since it was true anyways. So he keeps shut as they walk towards Mark and Jaemin, and once they're there, Donghyuck sees Jaemin's eyes light up.

"Duckie!" He exclaims, opening his arms wide as his lips stretch into a smile. Donghyuck can't help but brighten up too, leaning down and pecking Jaemin's cheek before sitting down in front of the two boys. Jeno does the same after greeting Mark with a forehead kiss.

Perhaps they were truly all different, and perhaps things were simple just going to become more messy, but if one thing was for sure, it was that the four of them were going to stick through all of it together. 

__________

i'm losing inspo and that makes me sad
+
i was ready to publish this last night but i feel asleep before hitting publish
+
comment your favourite nct ship! i have a new story idea and don't know which ship to use :)