fifty five,

"Hey Xuxi."

Frowning, Yukhei looks up. He's met with the sight of Jungwoo in front of him, pretty smile and pearly whites staring back at him. It's not that Jungwoo wasn't pretty or attractive, but Yukhei just can't look at him now, which is why he brings his head back down.

Jungwoo has always been wicked good at deciphering Yukhei's emotions just from staring at his face for a few good seconds, and it kind of scares the younger. When he wanted to hide things from his best friend, it didn't always go so well because of the elder's skillful, yet odd, ability.

As per usual though, Jungwoo figures out that something is bothering Yukhei, just like that, as if it was as easy as reciting the alphabet.

Jungwoo looks around a bit, left and right, just like before crossing the road, before bending down to be at eye level with the boy sitting down on the couch. He ignores the noise behind him, caused by the boys Renjun had invited over, which were all eighteen of them, plus three new friends Mark had insisted on inviting over.

"Is it about... You know who?"

And of course it is about 'you know who' and Jungwoo knows that very well, if the little smirk on his lips is anything to go by. Jungwoo knows everything, so Yukhei isn't surprised when he asks about... Well, 'you know who'. People in their friend group still think that Jungwoo is the cute and innocent one, the boy who wouldn't hurt a fly. Yukhei doesn't understand how they don't realize that Jungwoo is quite literally the most deceiving (and scary, in Yukhei's opinion) person in their large circle. Next to Ten, to be completely fair.

"Yeah," Yukhei mumbles lowly, an answer to Jungwoo's question. Sighing, and nodding, the elder sits down next to Yukhei, scanning the boys who were occupying Yukhei's shared flat with Renjun. He doesn't understand how so many people fit in the apartment, but it's whatever.

He sees Jaehyun, Mark, Dongyoung and Jeno playing video games in front of the television, snacks laid out in front of them and Dongyoung undeniably being the worst player. Donghyuck, Taeil and Johnny were catching up, since the youngest had missed the other two an awful lot. Taeil and Johnny were staying with Dongyoung and Ten for a week, deciding to take a small break from Jeju, venturing up into the city with the rest of them. Deokjun, Yangyang and Kwanhyung, the three friends Mark had invited, were talking to Renjun quite amicably. Jungwoo also remembered how well the three had gotten along with Taeyong and Kun, and he presumes that their group will take a liking to the three of them. Speaking of Taeyong and Kun, they were occupying themselves in the kitchen, refusing to let anyone... Destructive enter the cooking area. Sicheng and Yuta were doing something on Yuta's laptop, probably school work since the two of them are known to be the largest procrastinators. And well Chenle and Jisung? They disappeared off to Yukhei's room a while ago, giggling about how they were going to make the largest dominos track, and were joined by Jaemin and Ten not too long after.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Jungwoo asks softly, looking over at his side to get a view of Yukhei. He sighs as he slumps back into the couch, holding a pillow tight to his chest.

"Besides telling you that Renjun still thinks you're my tattoo," the younger starts, sighing once more before continuing. "Nope."

Jungwoo kind of regrets telling Yukhei he could tell Renjun that he was the younger's tattoo. At the time, it seemed like the right decision to make in order to protect his best friend, but now Jungwoo just regrets it. Yukhei was going to have to explain quite a lot in order to justify lying about his tattoo.

"You know—"

"I really, really don't wanna hear it Woo," the younger cuts off, and Jungwoo notices now just how tired he sounds. It makes him sad, to think that his best friend was putting himself through so much over something which could've been solved way earlier. He opens his mouth to say something, to apologize, but Yukhei continues before he can. "And I-I know it's my fault, but if Renjun wants to pine over someone who's taken and in love with other people, then I won't stop him. I've been tailing after him for so long and I'm sick and tired of it. And don't pull the bullshit about Renjun probably being tired about it too, and needing someone to help him through this too, because if his head is still up Donghyuck's ass, that's not my problem. I wanna focus on me now, Woo, because it hurts too fucking much now."

Jungwoo frowns, not knowing how to help Yukhei. The younger's words may have sounded harsh, but the elder knows that Yukhei is just emotional right now. Which emotion? It's not clear. Who he's emotional at? Maybe himself or maybe Renjun. But Jungwoo won't ask, because he feels as if all Yukhei wants right now is to think. Maybe ponder over everything and clear his mind. Because Jungwoo isn't sure how much he really wants to get over Renjun, just like that, in an instant.

"Are you sure you really want to do that?" Jungwoo asks. And no matter what, no matter how aggravating the question is and no matter how much he'd snap at anyone else who would've asked him that question, he can't because it's Jungwoo. The elder has a way with things, because as devious and as horrifying he can be, he can also be ridiculously calming and reassuring. Jungwoo is always there for Yukhei, so he figures that the least he can do is cooperate.

"It hurts," is all he settles on saying, mumbling into the pillow he's hugging close. "But I know that it hurts Renjun too, and that I can't get mad at him for mourning over his heartbreak, because I know how it feels. Am I being selfish?"

For the nth time this conversation, Jungwoo frowns and shakes his head. He puts a comforting hand on Yukhei's shoulder, squeezing gently in attempts the get him to focus on the elder.

"Of course not," Jungwoo says softly, eyes also portraying a deep amount of concern and emotion. "You're allowed to pause and think about yourself. That's okay." He assures, having the younger turn his head to look his hyung in the eyes.

"Okay."

Nodding, a smile of satisfaction on his face, Jungwoo removes his hand from Yukhei's shoulder.

"Alright, listen here rat rags! Food's ready and I expect every single one of you to help set the tables in one way or another!" Kun hollers from the kitchen, stepping out of the cooking area with his hands on his hips. His eyes then land on Deokjun, Kwanhyung and Yangyang, expression immediately getting softer. "Except you three lovelies, make yourselves at home." He smiles, gently motioning for them to take seats around the table.

"It's not even your home," Renjun scowls, being pushed into the kitchen.

"And to think I always received the special treatment." Chenle pouts, nonetheless helping by setting glasses down onto the table.

__________

take ot21 + an in-view of xuxi's perspective on things, as it is his happy birthday :)