forty five,

"Why isn't Mark hyung answering his phone?" Jaemin asks with a pout, thumbing the device with furrowed eyebrows. "He was supposed to be here fifteen minutes ago..."

He sighs, anxiously pocketing his phone and bouncing his leg up and down. If Donghyuck was here, he'd tell Jaemin to stop doing that because it was annoying, but Donghyuck wasn't here to bitch about anything. Jaemin was alone, outside of the campus library, waiting for Mark so that the two of them could go to their dorm together. Mark was supposed to be coming out of soccer practice, but that ended twenty five minutes ago and Jaemin was still alone.

It wasn't like he was annoyed, more curious and kind of concerned towards why it would take Mark so long to get here. Even if he decided to stay for extra practice, he'd shoot Jaemin a text. It was odd for Mark to be MIA like this.

Jaemin sighs, kicking a pebble in front of him, watching and listening as it bounces away. It was becoming dark outside, and the temperature was dropping. Jaemin thinks it would've been smart to leave with a hoodie instead of just his long sleeve. As more time passes by, Jaemin feels kind of helpless as he realizes that he can't even ask Jeno for any information about Mark's whereabouts, since he didn't stay for extra practice. He was probably at home with Donghyuck, doing homework or something else.

His hands are fiddling anxiously with his phone, and as more minutes go by with no one coming out of the athletics building, Jaemin finally caves and shoots a message to both Jeno and Donghyuck.

nanajae: mark hasn't come back from practice yet

nanajae: come help me find him

He knows that within a matter of five minutes, he'll have the other two by his side, ready to find Mark and possibly stage an intervention.

He doesn't really know why asks for the two of them, finding Mark is easily something he could do on his own. But the presence of the other two might keep him sane enough to actually find their eldest.

He pockets his device, taking a few deep breaths to calm himself. He shouldn't even be stressing this much, right? It was just Mark, and it's not like much could've happened. He was just at soccer practice, he wasn't dying or anything.

Right?

Before Jaemin could think more about the negative possibilities of the situation, he hears heavy footsteps and panting before two people throw themselves at him.

"Hey," Donghyuck greets first, smiling lightly before his facial expression goes back to being mildly concerned. Beside him, Jeno looks about the same.

"Hi," the youngest one breathes out, tugging on Jeno and Donghyuck's wrists with his hands. "Come on, he hasn't left for forty minutes." And then Jaemin is dragging them into the athletics building, anxiety settling into his chest once he realizes how empty the place is.

"Let's check the indoor field," Jeno suggests, removing his wrist from Jaemin's grip and deciding the take the lead.

The three of them make it to the indoor field, only for it to completely empty. The nets are set away properly and there wasn't a stray soccer ball in sight.

This only makes Jaemin more worried.

Donghyuck seems to catch up on that.

"Jaems," he calls softly, having Jaemin turn look at him. He was visibly distressed, and Donghyuck's heart aches at how obviously Jaemin cared for Mark. It was as clear as day that Jaemin had strong feelings for Mark, and Donghyuck thought it was endearing. "He's okay, alright? It's not like much could've happened," he assures, rubbing the younger's shoulders in what he hopes is in a comforting manner.

Jaemin nods his head, knowing that in some way, he was just overreacting. Honestly, there wasn't anything bad that could've happened. How bad could it possibly be?

"Yeah," Jaemin nods, weak smile finding itself on his face. "You're right."

"Let's head into the locker room?" Jeno suggests, having the other two nod and follow him. Donghyuck slips his hand into Jaemin's for extra assurance he's pretty sure the younger boy needed right now.

Inside the locker room, it's practically empty. Jaemin feels his stomach fill with more anxiety as he thinks about where Mark could be if not the indoor soccer field.

But then Donghyuck finds a duffel bag and an orange hoodie which he's almost ninety nine percent positive belongs to Jaemin. Mark has always been anything but subtle anyways.

"Mark hyung?" Donghyuck tries to call out, walking around the vast empty space of the locker room.

He gets nothing in return, and Jeno decides that he'll make a quick tour of the locker room.

"I don't see him," Jaemin says, anxiously biting his bottom lip.

Just as he says that, the door to the locker room opens and someone clears their throat as they walk in.

Mark feels intimidated as all three pairs of eyes land on him simultaneously.

"Uh," he starts, feeling his throat parch when Jaemin throws himself at him. "Hi?"

"Hyung—" Jeno starts, but gets it off as Donghyuck slaps his arm. Curious, and mildly offended, Jeno turns to look at Donghyuck, looking very scandalized if you ask the younger.

"Shh," is all Donghyuck says, glaring lightly at Jeno before turning to Mark himself. "Where were you?" He asks plainly, taking note of how the eldest was still clad in his soccer uniform.

Mark tries to manoeuvre himself out of Jaemin's arms before answering, but the latter seems to take none of that as he refuses to let his arms unwind from Mark's torso. Defeated, Mark just sighs and answers Donghyuck's question.

"Practicing."

Donghyuck's gaze, is absolutely scrutinizing.

Mark wasn't just practicing.

And Donghyuck knows that.

__________

is it wrong to leave you a cliffhanger after not updating in two weeks :( simon says i'm sorry