2. Six Years, Gone

Bennett

I heard the key in the lock, despite the running water of the sink as I washed the dishes. I smiled to myself. Tommy was home!

"Hey, Tommy," I called over my shoulder as I heard him enter. "How was work?"

"Bennett, are you busy?"

I immediately shut off the water and reached for the towel. He never calls me by my full name. Something had to be wrong.

"I was just doing the dishes," I said as he walked into the kitchen. He wasn't smiling like he usually did. "Is everything okay? Tommy, you're worrying me."

He shook his head slowly. "Listen, Ben..." He sighed, rubbing his hand along the back of his neck. "I, uh... I met someone."

Why would meeting someone make him look so unhappy? "Who?"

Tommy shook his head again, looking at the floor. "Just someone. That's... that's not the point. The point is that I'm falling in love with them and I can't be with you anymore. I'm really sorry, Benny."

My chest tightened and my breathing became difficult. "You're sorry?" I snapped. "You're sorry that you just happened to fall for this guy? That you fell out of love with me? Six years, Tommy. We've been together for six years and all you can say is sorry?"

Tears were streaming down my face so much that my vision was blurred. I tossed the dish towel I was still holding at him and ran into our bedroom. I wish I had somewhere to go right now that I didn't share with him, but I wasn't about to go out in public in just my tiny booty shorts. So instead, I collapsed on the bed, clutching a pillow to my chest. It smelt like Tommy's shampoo. I cried harder.

I don't know how long I laid there before there was a soft knock on the door. My tears had long since stopped coming, but that didn't mean I wasn't still upset. "Go away," I muttered just loud enough for him to hear me.

"Benny, please? I hate knowing I made you cry."

I sat up, glaring at the closed door that separated us. "Yeah? Then maybe you shouldn't have been sleeping with another guy behind my back! I never want to see you again. Go away!"

He didn't say anything else and I heard his footsteps walking away. Finally.

I can't believe he would do that to me. Six years. I thought he was going to be the one I'd spend the rest of my life with. Apparently, he had other ideas.

I was going to have to move out. This had been his apartment, not mine. Where was I going to go?

Kali. I could ask to crash on her couch again. Just until I can find my own place. I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

I scrambled for my phone before realizing I had left it in the kitchen. Carefully, I opened the bedroom door, peaking around to make sure Tommy wasn't still out there. He wasn't. So I pulled the door all the way open and walked into the kitchen.

I snatched my phone off the counter and dialed my best friend's number. She answered after three rings. "Hey Ben! What's up?"

I sighed. "Can I crash on your couch for a few days?"

"Oh no. What happened? Did you and Tommy get into a fight?"

I shook my head, leaning against the counter. "Something like that. We broke up."

"Do you need me to kick his ass for you?"

"No. Just... let me crash there until I can find my own place? I have to pack up my stuff here, which won't take too long. I don't have much."

She hesitated before saying anything else. "Are you sure there's no working things out? I mean, of course you're welcome here. But finding your own place? Are you sure?"

"He fell in love with someone else, Kali. He doesn't love me anymore." I could feel the tears coming again, but I held them back. "He might even be sleeping with him already and I can't stay here. I can't... I can't even look at him anymore."

"Oh, Benny... I'm coming over to help you pack up your stuff. And I'm bringing ice cream."

That got a small laugh out of me. Kali's solution to everything was ice cream. I usually didn't join her in eating ice cream, but today seemed like an ice cream kind of day. "Okay," I said. "I'll leave the door unlocked."

A couple minutes later, I was back in my bedroom with my suitcase open on my bed and staring at the shared closet. Neither of us had ever committed to one side of the closet, so all our stuff were randomly thrown in there together. That was going to be a pain to go through.

What made him fall out of love with me? Was I just not enough for him anymore? Had I changed too much for him to handle these last few years?

I sat on the edge of my bed, pushing my empty suitcase out of the way. Six years. Gone. Just like that. Wasted time.

My heart felt like it had been ripped out of my chest and stomped on.

I don't know how long I sat there before I heard the front door close. Kali must be here. I didn't bother getting up. She'd find me.

Within seconds, she was sitting next to me, her arms wrapped around me. I leaned into her hold, burying my face into her shoulder as I hugged her back.

Kali has been my best friend since we were in diapers together. She's been there through all the good and bad times in my life, just as I've been there for her. I'm not sure what I would do if I didn't have her in my life.

She didn't say a word as I let myself cry again. She just rubbed my back in gentle circles. It helped, but I wished it was Tommy holding me tight instead of her. The thought that I'd never feel his touch again made my heart ache and the tears fall harder.

A/N: Let me know what you think of Bennett!