5. The Unofficial Job Interview

Patrick

"So what kind of experience do you have?" Joey asked me from across his dining room table. He had his laptop open in front of him and was jotting notes down on a notepad next to it.

"Uh..." I shook my head. "I graduated high school?"

He looked up at me. "No job experience?"

"No."

I knew he was only trying to help me because Kat asked him too. I was sure he didn't have any kind of position for me, not that I could do well in, anyway. He probably had a ton of job applications sitting on his desk in his office with much more qualified people hoping for a job with the company.

Joey sighed, running a hand through his short hair as he stared at the computer screen in front of him. "I have an opening for a sales rep. Do you think you can handle that?"

Honestly, no, but what other choice did I have? "Sure. What do I have to do?"

Joey nodded and picked up his pen again. "We sell office supplies, so most days, you'll be in the office, talking to our customers over the phone and making sales. Real simple stuff considering most customers already know exactly what they want whenever they need to place an order."

I nodded my head as he talked and further explained. Some things I understood, some I didn't. Overall, though, it didn't seem too difficult of a job. I could talk to people, sell them things. Sure. Why not?

After agreeing to the job with as much gratitude I could muster, Joey and I discussed salary. I didn't know what a fair number would be at all, but he reassured me that that was the best I was going to get, especially if I tried going anywhere else. I knew I was lucky, having an HR person be my cousin-in-law.

The front door opened and the sound of Kat's laughter floated into the dining room. She had gone out with her best friend, Andy, tonight to look at something for his wedding. I didn't have to wonder long if he had come back here or not as I heard his voice. I couldn't make out the words, but it definitely was him.

Moments later, the two came into the dining room. Kat walked in first. It was still weird seeing her pregnant, her stomach so much bigger than it normally was. She was due sometime in the next two months, I think. I couldn't believe my cousin was having a baby.

Andy followed her into the room, rolling up to the table in his wheelchair. "Hey, how's the interview going?"

I shrugged as Joey answered. "He's hired. Sales rep."

I've known Andy for a long time now. He and Kat have been friends since they were kids and, even though they went to a different high school than me, I still hung out with them a lot growing up. Now, though, I felt weird being in the same room as him, probably because he was in love with my ex, but that's besides the point. I guess it was just hard seeing these people I knew as kids having their shit together already while I'm still trying to figure out everything.

"Congratulations, Pat," Andy said with a smile.

I nodded. "Thanks. Hopefully it'll pay enough for my own place."

Andy's phone rang. He answered, effectively ending our pitiful attempt at a conversation. Kat and Joey had disappeared, so I was left alone to listen in on Andy's call.

"Hey, dear," he said. "Yeah, we just got back to her place. I'm sure they won't mind... yeah." He rolled backwards, turning his head slightly and lowering his voice a bit. "He is." He paused. "That's up to you, Shawn. Whatever you want to do."

I couldn't listen anymore. I stood, grabbing the sheet of notes on this new job Joey had left on the table for me, and walked out of the room.

"So, Joey tells me you're starting next week, huh?" Kat said as I walked into the kitchen.

I nodded. "Yeah, I guess so." I looked at him, who was standing in front of the fridge staring blankly at the food. "Thanks again, Joe. I really appreciate it."

He turned to me. "Yeah, no. Of course. Just don't screw up. I'm sticking my neck out here for you. I can't lose my job when I got a baby on the way, you know?"

"I can promise you that I'll do the best I can."

"Have you thought about apartments yet?" Kat asked. She was sitting at the kitchen table, her feet propped up on another chair. "I know you'd need a couple weeks to get enough for a security deposit and such, but any thoughts yet?"

I shook my head, leaning against the counter. "I've only been here a couple days. I didn't even know I'd be able to get a job so quickly. Of course I haven't looked up apartments yet."

She rolled her eyes. "Well get on it. As much as I love you, I don't want you here forever. Besides, you're not going to want to still be here when this little one gets here." Kat rubbed her huge stomach, smiling down at it.

Andy came into the room at that moment. "Shawn's on his way to pick me up."

Kat's face lit up. "You guys should stay for dinner! Joey, what are you making? We have enough for them too, right?"

"No," Andy said, cutting off Joey before he could even open his mouth. "Thanks for the offer though, but Shawn said he already ordered food for us. Next time."

I left them alone to talk, slinking off into the guest room that I was using for the time being. On the way there, I passed the nursery. I stopped in the doorway. The walls were painted a pale pink and everything was decorated with flowers and butterflies.

I didn't know anything about babies, but I knew I wanted to be there for my cousin's baby. I wanted her to grow up so loved. I never wanted her to feel any kind of pain. And I hope she gets to be with the person she falls in love with, like her parents. Unlike me. She wasn't even born yet and I already knew that she deserved the world.