13. Night Out

Patrick

"Oh, I can't believe my baby cousin is finally growing up!"

I rolled my eyes at Kat. "I'm barely a year younger than you." She was sitting on the couch, her feet propped up on the coffee table. I sat in the armchair across from her. "And it's not that big of a deal. I found a place to live, and it's not like I found my own apartment. I'm going to have two roommates."

She wiggled her eyebrows at me. "Yeah, one of which is a hot gay boy. Don't fuck it up with him."

I shook my head. "There's nothing to fuck up. He's not interested." I was already starting to regret telling Kat that my new roommate was gay and attractive. She was never going to let me forget about it.

"I'm just saying..."

I stood up. "Well don't. I'm going to pack up my clothes. I'll be out of here by this weekend."

Honestly, it might even be sooner. Today was Wednesday, but it was too late to go out furniture shopping, so that would have to happen tomorrow night. If all goes well, I'd have everything I need by Friday to move into that new apartment with Theresa. And Bennett.

I sighed, thinking about him. He was acting weird today, and I couldn't help but blame myself for his behavior. Was moving in with him going to be a mistake?

Shaking my head, I pushed the thought out of my head. It wasn't a mistake. I knew exactly what I was doing. And he even said he didn't have a problem with me, even if I had expressed interest in him. As long as I didn't act on it. How hard could that be? Besides, once I have that room, I'll be able to hook up with guys again at night. Then I wouldn't feel so desperate anymore and be so focused on Bennett like that. It would be fine.

*

It worked out so that I took all of Thursday off from work. I spent the day buying a bed and a dresser and moving my stuff into my new apartment. I could handle minimalist living for now, until I could actually afford more stuff. Maybe I should go back to my parents' to see if I could take some of my old stuff, but that would have to wait until the weekend anyway.

By eight that night, I was settled. I was surprised at how fast I managed to move in, but, then again, I didn't have too much. Mostly, it was just a few boxes and suitcases with clothes in it that I would eventually get around to unpacking.

"So," I said, walking into the kitchen, where Theresa was piling ice cream into a bowl. "Do you happen to know any gay bars around here? I need to get out."

She laughed. "Not off the top of my head, but Ben might know, though."

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. If I ask him, then he might tag along. I couldn't find someone to take my mind off him with him sitting right there.

"What might I know?"

Of course, he had to walk in at that moment.

Theresa answered before I could change the topic. "Gay bars around here. Know any?"

He thought for a minute, leaning up against the wall by the kitchen door. His jacket was still on, considering he just got home from work. His work hours confused me, since they seemed so inconsistent.

"There's one about three blocks from here." Then he looked at me. "Why? You thinking of going?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. Just curious."

"You guys should go!" Theresa said, putting the tub of ice cream back into the freezer. "I'd go with you, but I have work in the morning."

Bennett rubbed the back of his neck, staring down at the floor. "I guess I could use a drink. And there's no cover charge on Thursdays there."

I sighed. "You don't have to come with me. I'm probably just going to find someone to have sex with and leave you alone anyway." More like definitely, but I didn't want to sound too arrogant.

"I'll come for a little bit, I guess. One drink, then I'll leave you to find someone on your own."

I didn't know why he was coming with me, but I couldn't exactly stop him. Besides, he's the one who actually knew where this place was. And if he wanted to come out for a drink, why should I stop him?

An hour later, we were dressed and ready to head out. I had to stop myself from staring at Bennett - again. He had said he wasn't trying to find anyone tonight, but with that outfit - dark skinny jeans and a pink shirt - he was going to have every guy's attention there tonight. Why did he have to be off limits?

When we got to the bar, there were a decent amount of people around. All eyes were on Bennett as we walked in, just like I had expected. He didn't seem to notice though, immediately going over to the bar and ordering a drink.

I followed him, ordering my usual beer. We sat at the counter next to each other as the bartender went to make our drinks.

"So..." Bennett started, "Anyone catch your eye yet?"

I scoffed, grabbing my drink from the bartender. "I haven't even looked, honestly. But I know they've been looking at you. You sure you don't want to find someone for the night?"

He shook his head, taking a sip of his own drink. It was a weird blue color. "Not into that. Besides, I just got out of a really serious long-term relationship. I don't even want to look at another guy any time soon."

I nodded. "That's why I don't date anymore. Putting too much emotion into one person ruins you when it doesn't work out."

Bennett raised an eyebrow at me. "Who broke your heart? Sounds like there's a story there."

I shook my head, not wanting to think of Shawn tonight. "It's nothing. He was nothing."

He played with his straw, the blue, pink, and white bracelet he seemed to always wear sliding as far as it could down his arm as he rested his elbow on the counter. "Obviously."

I spun around on the stool to lean my back up against the bar as I surveyed the room. There were quite a few people up dancing, guys grinding on each other. None of the twinks seemed to catch my attention though. Sure, they were hot and sexy, but for some reason, I didn't want any of them.

I grabbed my glass and knocked back the rest of my drink. It didn't matter if who I went home with, as long as I went home with someone. Anything to take my mind off the one person it can't be focused on.