33. The New Roommate

Bennett

I watched Theresa cheerfully show the apartment to some girl from my place on the couch. I knew it wasn't fair of me to just sit here and not talk to her, but I couldn't help myself. That room was supposed to be Pat's, no one else's.

I knew we needed the extra person for rent. I knew that. But I wanted it to be Pat. Nobody could replace him.

"Hey," Theresa said, sitting down next to me. "Can you please stop moping? Angela already asked me if you had a problem with her. We need someone to help with rent and you know it can't be Pat. Please, just come over and meet her, will you?"

I sighed, but stood up. "Alright. I'm sorry. I just..." I shook my head. "I miss him so badly."

It probably wouldn't be as bad if I could talk to him. At this point, it's been almost a month since he was admitted. Once he's out of there, I know I'll feel a whole lot better about all of this.

Theresa stood up too and gave me a quick hug. "I know, honey. But he'll be out of there soon. I know it."

I hoped she was right. I didn't know how much longer I could sit here waiting for him to get out - to be able to see him again. "Yeah. Okay. So what's this girl's name again?"

Theresa smiled. "Angela. And she's in the kitchen looking over the contract right now. I think she's really interested, if you don't scare her off with that attitude of yours."

I shook my head. "No attitude. I'm fine."

We walked into the kitchen where Angela was sitting at the table. She looked up when we entered and smiled at Theresa.

I stepped forward, offering my hand. "Hi. I'm Bennett. It's nice to meet you."

She also stood, shaking my hand. "I hope it's okay that I'm here. Theresa mentioned that you were fairly close to your old roommate?"

I took a step back, leaning against the counter. "Close," I repeated. "Yeah. He's my boyfriend. He had to move out, unfortunately. It was rather unexpected so I'm still not really okay. But I would love to get to know you better if you do choose to live here."

She smiled. "I appreciate that, Bennett, really. I don't know anybody in this city and it's a tough move for me to make. But this apartment is great and I'd love to take the room."

I knew this was a good thing. We had a few other people look at the room, but none of them would have fit in very well here. At least Angela seemed like a nice person and a good roommate. But it still hurt a bit knowing that any chance of having the room still empty when Pat got out so that he could potentially still move back was gone.

"Great," Theresa said. "I'll just need your signature on that last page and you can move in whenever you get me this month's rent."

"Of course. I just had one question, though."

At that moment, there was a knock on the door. As far as I knew, there wasn't supposed to be anyone else looking at the apartment today, so I had no idea who it could be.

I went to go check, leaving Theresa to answer Angela's questions, since it was her contract. All I ever did with it was sign it.

Out of all the possible people that I was expecting to be behind the door, Pat was not one of them. Of course, I imagined him coming back constantly, but never like that, and I had almost given up hope that he would ever get out of that place.

But there he was, standing out in the hallway.

He smiled. "Are you just going to stand there or what?"

Instead of answering him, I threw my arms around his neck and kissed him. He put his arms around me, holding me closer to his body. God, I missed him so much.

"Ben? Who was - oh."

I let go of Pat and turned around to see Theresa standing there. "Looks who's back!" I said.

"I see that," she said. "Hi, Pat. How are you doing?"

"I'm doing great now." He wrapped his arms around me again and kissed the side of my neck. "You smell really good," he whispered in my ear.

I smiled, hugging his arms that were wrapped around my chest. It was good to have him back. I never wanted him to let me go.

Then Angela walked out of the kitchen with the contract in her hand. "Alright, so it's all signed."

Pat let go of me. "Who's that?" he asked me.

I turned to face him. "Angela. She's moving into your old room."

"Oh."

I wish I had time to warn him that we were getting a new person in here. As happy as I was to see him, it was really bad timing for him to show up now. "Yeah... Your parents said you're not coming back here, and we sort of needed the rent. I'm sorry, Pat."

He shook his head. "Yeah, no. I get it." He gave me a quick kiss. "At least you're still living here, or else I wouldn't have known where to find you."

"You have my phone number, you know."

He smiled. "Yeah, but then it would have taken even longer to see you."

"Uh, boys?" Theresa asked, making us both look at her. "If you're done flirting and making out in the doorway, I think Angela is leaving."

"What?" I looked at her. "So soon?"

Angela laughed. "Don't worry. I'll be back. Sorta need to get my stuff before I can move in."

"You know," Pat said to Angela, "I'm glad you're moving in here instead of some hot guy. Then I'd get jealous."

I leaned back on his chest. "Even if that was the case, you'd never have to worry." There was no way I'd want anyone besides Pat. He meant way too much to me right now. And missing him for the last month only made my feelings for him grow.