35. Relationship Advice

Bennett

David brought me to a really fancy restaurant at the edge of the city. Apparently, he had big news for me and wanted to go all out when he told me. Despite really wanting to know what his big news was, I resisted the urge to ask on the drive there.

It was weird to think about how rich my brother was. But walking into that place made me feel like I'd go broke by just breathing in there, which made me seriously regret not dressing a little nicer before leaving my apartment. Thankfully, he told me not to worry about any of it - the clothes I was wearing or paying for the food.

David walked right up to the girl behind the hostess stand. "Baxter. For two."

I laughed at the way he said our name. He sounded so serious. "Baxter," I mocked. I nudged his side. "Baxter." Just because we were both adults didn't mean I had to give up the role of annoying little sibling. I saw the hostess smile to herself, probably at us, as she grabbed a couple menus.

He looked at me. "It's your name too, you know."

I nodded, no longer laughing. "And to think I seriously considered changing it."

The hostess started leading us to our seats. David glanced over his shoulder as he walked to ask, "What do you mean? When was that?"

I didn't answer until we were sitting, menus in hand. "Don't you remember? When Mom and Dad first kicked me out, I considered taking Tommy's last name as a final 'fuck you' to them."

He opened his menu. "Well thank God you didn't."

I also opened my menu, not saying anything else as I looked at the choices. There weren't even prices listed next to the meals. How expensive was this place?

"David, this is way too expensive. They don't even have prices!"

He didn't look up. "Yeah, I know. Get whatever you want. It's okay."

We feel silent again for another moment as we figured out what we wanted to eat. This time, it was David who eventually broke that silence.

"If you and Pat got married, would you take his last name?"

I shot my gaze up to him, but he was still looking down at his own menu. "What? Who said anything about me and Pat getting married? We've been dating a month, technically. It's really only been, like, two days."

He lifted his gaze to meet mine. "I'm just saying. You were so quick to consider taking Tommy's name and you two had only been dating what? A year, at that point?"

I sighed. "I guess I would, you know, with any guy. I'm not sure if it'll be Pat, but we'll see where we go from here. It's just that all my life, there was always that thought in the back of my head saying that I wasn't always going to be a Baxter. One day I'd take my husband's last name. It was a given fact, except for that month where I thought I was a lesbian back in high school, but that doesn't count. Even now, I'm never going to be the 'dominate' guy in any relationship, even if I want to be."

"Do you want to be?"

Before I had a chance to answer, the waiter came over to bring us our drinks and take our dinner order. I quickly picked something to eat, more focused on our current conversation than the food at this point.

Once the waiter left, David reiterated his question. I wasn't really expecting him to want to talk about this subject, but I was glad to be able to talk to someone about it.

"I don't know," I answered honestly. "I mean, I have this... toy." I could feel my face heating up in a blush as I said that. "I bought it a couple years ago, but I never told Tommy. I knew he'd never want to think about that. I haven't told Pat yet because he doesn't seem like that kind of person either. It's just sort of nice to know that I have that option, even if it's hidden in a box under my bed, you know?"

"I think you should talk to Pat about it. He's your boyfriend. He loves you. I'm sure he'll understand where you're coming from with this."

I nodded. Pat did love me. And I told him I loved him too. As bad as it was, I wasn't sure if I meant it or not. Yes, I cared about him so much and I really liked him, but I wasn't sure if that was enough to be considered love yet. Not that I'd ever tell him that. I didn't want to break him. Again.

With a sigh, I shook my head. "I'm sorry. You had news, didn't you? We don't need to be talking about my relationship."

David smiled, grabbing the stem of his wine glass. "Anna's pregnant again."

"David! That's amazing! Congratulations!"

He nodded and I watched him shake his glass a bit, aerating the wine. "Now, listen, Ben. Anna wanted to be here too for this, but she's at her sister's this weekend. Um... we wanted to ask you before we started announcing the news to everyone else. Would you be the baby's godfather?"

I was shocked. I had wanted to be Matty's godfather, but I was barely starting my transition when he was born. Anna's sister ended up getting the godmother role instead, mostly because she wasn't exactly sure how to handle me back then. It didn't take long for her to finally around to accepting me, but that didn't mean I ever expected to be their next child's godfather.

"Yes," I answered. "Absolutely. I would be so honored."

"I'm glad. We really wanted you to have the role this time around. Anna even suggested it before I could bring it up. Literally, it was: 'David, I'm pregnant. Do you think Bennett would want to be the godfather?'"

I laughed. "I love your wife."

"My wife. Remember that."

I shook my head, raising my hands up defensively. "And I'm gay, remember? So don't worry." I lowered my hands. "But seriously, thank you. Both of you. This means the world to me."

"Just promise me one thing," he said just as our food was delivered.

I looked at him over our plates. "What? You're making me worried."

"Talk to Pat about everything you're concerned with right now. If you don't see this relationship lasting very long, then why try to force it right now?"