27. The Perfect Night

Patrick

My heart was beating so hard in my chest, I was afraid Bennett could hear it. He was leaning forward over the table, looking ridiculously cute for how cocky he was being. He made it seem like asking was no big deal, but to me, it was.

I took a deep breath. "Okay. Do you want to go out with me?"

He smirked. "Where would we go? And when?"

I glanced down at my depressing bowl of cereal. "You're not doing anything for the rest of tonight, are you?" He shook his head. "Good. Let's go out to eat. Right now."

I stood up and grabbed my bowl off the table. I didn't really want to eat that anyway. At least this gave me a reason to eat a decent meal. I dumped what was left in the trash before placing the bowl in the sink. When I turned back around, Bennett was still sitting in the same position.

"Don't you want to go?"

"I never said I would say yes."

My heart sank. I thought he wanted this. I know I definitely did.

He laughed. "I'm only kidding. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have joked like that."

He stood up and I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding. "That wasn't funny."

Bennett walked around the table and gave me a quick kiss. "I really am sorry, Pat. I would love to go to dinner with you tonight."

I grabbed his waist and pulled him closer to me. I kissed him, harder than his kiss. That tiny taste just wasn't enough for me. I needed so much more from him. I never wanted to let him go.

He kissed me back with just as much intensity. His hands gripped my shirt in a desperate attempt to bring us even closer together. At some point, his arms went around my neck. I picked him up, placing him on the table and fit myself between his legs.

"Pat, wait," he said, breaking the kiss. "We should probably go on that date before we get into this."

I nodded, taking a step back. "You're right. Yeah." I don't know why I got so carried away. I swear, Bennett does things to me that I've never experienced before. "We should go."

Bennett took my hand and led me out of the kitchen. We walked into my bedroom and, for a second, I thought he had abandoned the idea of going out altogether. But then he sat me on my bed and started pulling out clothes for me to wear.

I let him dress me, figuring he knew a whole lot more about what was going on than I did. After a few minutes, I was dressed nicer than I would have dressed myself and he was hurrying into his own room to get ready.

I still had to figure out where exactly we were going to dinner. Obviously it had to be somewhat nice, considering what we were wearing. But I had no idea what was around that wasn't cheap pizza places or take out options. This whole dating thing was already turning out to be something I didn't think I could handle.

"Okay, you all set?" Bennett asked, coming out of his room.

I stared at him. I don't think I've ever seen him look so amazing as he did at that moment. He was wearing a white button down shirt with black pants and, man did I want to rip them off him.

"You good, Pat?" he asked, grabbing his jacket and pulling it on.

I nodded. "Yeah, sorry. You look really good."

He smiled, a hint of a blush on his cheeks. "Thank you. So do you."

"I owe that to you." I grabbed my keys and my phone and put them both in my pocket. "So, I still don't know where we can go for dinner."

"That's okay. I know a place."

He grabbed my hand again and led me to the door. Holding his hand was different, considering I've never done it with anyone before. But with Bennett, I really liked it. I didn't want to let go.

And I didn't. Not until we got to the restaurant and we were led to a small table against the back wall. I was surprised there wasn't much of a wait, especially because we didn't have a reservation, but I was glad we could do this on such short notice.

"So," I started once we were sitting. "Now what happens, since you're the date expert?"

Bennett laughed. "Well we gotta order our food at some point. But mostly we just talk to each other."

Talking was something I could handle. So that's what we did.

We talked for what felt like forever. Our meals came and we ate. Then dessert. All the while we were talking about anything and everything. It was the best couple hours I've had in my entire life.

After I paid for dinner, Bennett and I headed back home. We were about halfway back when I reached out and grabbed hold of his hand. He looked up at me with a smile, making me smile even wider.

Seriously best night ever.

We stopped at a cross walk, waiting for our turn to cross. "Thank you," I said. "For tonight. It was amazing."

He stepped closer to me, our chests almost touching. "Why? You're the one who asked me out. And you paid. I should be thanking you."

I pressed my lips to his in a gentle kiss. "But you did all the decision-making. This wouldn't have gone nearly as well if I actually planned anything."

People started walking around us and I realized the light had changed. I stepped back from him, keeping our hands entwined as we started walking again. As much as I didn't want this night to end, I was anxious to get back to the apartment so that the next part of the night could start. I was determined to get Bennett into bed with me again tonight. There had been too much teasing all day to not.

By the time we got back to our building, I was practically dragging him behind me. This night had to end perfectly.

"What's the rush?" Bennett asked, laughing a bit as I attempted to unlock the door.

I turned around, leaning against the still-locked door. "I want to have sex with you."

He grabbed my hands. "Then why are you so nervous? You're shaking so badly."

I shook my head. "I want tonight to be perfect. I've never had that kind of pressure before, you know?"

Bennett leaned in and kissed me. "Tonight was perfect, Pat," he whispered against my lips. "And we've already slept together. There's no need to impress me like this."

I smiled. "But this was our first date. Of course I need to impress you. Isn't that how I get a second date?"

He laughed. "I would have said yes to a second date anyway. So just calm down, take a deep breath," he gave me a quick kiss and whispered, "and fuck me senseless."