3. Cut Off

Patrick

"Here," Mom said, handing me an envelope that night after dinner. "It's from your cousin."

"Kat?" I don't know why I questioned it. I only had the one cousin. "What is it?"

I started pulling the pink piece of paper out of the envelope as Mom explained. "She invited us to her baby shower this weekend. You're coming, no excuses."

I sighed, but read over the invite. The party was two o'clock on Saturday. I knew I didn't have any plans other than sleeping, so really, there was no reason I couldn't go. But I also knew that going would mean seeing him.

"Fine," I said, sticking the invite back in the envelope. I'd go, but I just wouldn't talk to him. I could manage that, right?

She smiled. "Oh, good! Howard, Patrick's going to come on Saturday!"

Dad nodded his head, not looking up from his laptop screen on the table in front of him. "Uh huh. I heard, Janice." He then took his glasses off his face and looked me dead in the eyes. "Now you just need to get a job and you'll be on the way to become a real adult."

I scoffed, shaking my head. That's all I've been hearing, all day. I couldn't take it anymore.

"You think this is a joke?" he asked. "I want you out of my house."

"Howard!"

"No, listen, Janice. He can't keep staying here living off our money. He needs to support himself and the only way he'll start is by getting out of our damn basement!"

I crossed my arms over my chest. "Where the hell am I supposed to go?"

Mom walked over to me, putting her hand on my arm. "You don't have to go anywhere. But you do need to get a job."

Dad stood up, sending the kitchen chair flying backwards. "Janice, we've talk about this. He needs to stop depending on us so much, which means he needs to get out of my house."

I stopped listening, turning and leaving the kitchen. If they wanted me out, then fine. I'd leave. I didn't know where I'd go, but it wouldn't be here.

Just before I left the kitchen, Mom called my name. I stopped, one hand on the door frame, but didn't turn around.

"Please know that this is out of love."

I rolled my eyes and kept walking. I had nothing to say to that.

When I got downstairs, I realized I was still holding the invitation to Kat's baby shower. She has always been there for me, but now that she's married - and having a baby and starting a family - I knew she'd probably have even less time for me. But I didn't know who else to turn to right now. I had no friends, not really. Not since high school ended.

I tossed the letter onto my bed with a sigh. I guess I could call her anyway. She might be too busy with this party of hers coming up, but she might be able to give me some advice, at least. So I picked up the phone and dialed her number.

"Oh my god," she said as soon as she answered. "Are you really calling me, Patrick? How long has it been since you called me?"

"Ha, ha," I said dryly. "Seriously, though. I need your help. Dad kicked me out."

"Holy shit. He finally did it."

I sat on my bed, my mouth agape. "You knew? How long have you known?"

"Well..." She hesitated, like she didn't want me knowing that answer. "I didn't. I just figured it was about time they got tired of you mooching off them. I agree with them. It's time for you to grow the fuck up."

There was a spot of something on my sheets. I picked at it for a second as I thought over her words. I think it was leftover from last night, but I didn't think it was mine. Gross. 

I stood up. "Easy for you to say. You're already married."

She scoffed. "Yeah, because I was willing to actually go to college, where I met Joey. And... instead of just sleeping with him and never seeing him again, we actually went out on dates and realized how much we liked each other. Maybe you should try it sometime."

I sighed, leaning against my dresser. I knew that was a blow against me. I didn't blame her for it. I haven't tried actually dating in years. "I don't know what I'm going to do, Kat," I admitted.

She was quiet for a moment. "I'll talk to Joey to see if he has an opening at his work for you. Do you have any money saved up?"

"No. Nothing I can really use, anyway. Most of my money from Mom each week went to the cover charges and drinks at the bar. And condoms."

Kat groaned. "You are such a child, sometimes. But fine, did you want to stay in my guest room? For a couple weeks?"

I breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you, Kat. I really appreciate it."

"One rule though: you're not allowed to bring random boys into my house unless you're legitimately dating him, and even then: don't be fucking him in my house. Got it?"

I rolled my eyes, but understood. I wasn't planning on bringing my conquests to her house anyway. "Alright. I won't. Promise."

"Okay, good." She paused again. "So, since I'm on maternity leave for work now, I can help you look for a job and maybe even an apartment to rent. But, I do have to warn you though. Andy and... and Shawn tend to come over a lot. We're sort of planning their wedding together. So you'll be seeing him fairly regularly."

"Oh."

I didn't know he was getting married. I had gotten over him a long time ago, but I think there's a part of me that will always love him, despite what he did to me. Knowing that he is marrying someone else - someone I've known for years - does hurt a bit. I honestly never expected him to ever be the kind of person to settle down with someone. He just didn't seem like that kind of person after he told me to fuck myself because he wasn't into guys. Pretty strong words from someone who lost his virginity to me and who is now marrying a guy.

I didn't really have any other choice, did I? I needed somewhere to stay, and if that meant seeing my ex every once in a while, then I guess I just had to deal. But that just meant I needed to really bust my ass finding a job so I didn't have to stay on her couch too long.