Chapter 99

"Hello?"

"Uh... Hey, Ash" I said confused, checking if I called the wrong person by accident.

"Oh, it's you, how are you, Ley?" The boy seemed to walk around somewhere with the phone pressed against his ear.

"How did you not know it's me? Didn't you check the caller ID before picking up Michael's phone?" I laughed slightly.

"I did actually, you wanna know what your contact name is?"

"Tell me."

"Kitten with two heart emoijs."

I giggled, "Who exactly did you expect that to be?"

"Well, I don't know...?"

"Wow, Ash, you're doing amazing.“

"Sorry" he giggled, "You wanna talk with Michael?"

"I want, to be honest."

"More than you want to talk with me?"

"Kinda, I called him, not you."

"I don't care, I'm bored, talk to me."

"Give me Michael, idiot."

"You are such a rude friend, why would you prefer talking with Mike than with me?"

"'Cause Mikey is my boyfriend?"

"Hey, I wrote this super cool thing on guitar, wanna hear it?"

I rolled my eyes, which, of course, he couldn't see, "Sure, Ash."

He put the phone on speaker and I could hear how he sat down somewhere and tuned the guitar quickly. Right after that he started playing.

I recognised the song immediately, but I didn't cut Ashton off, I just listened to him play. Then, even though he didn't play exactly what I expected, it was still very beautiful. I could hear him hum to the melody, appreciating the sound of his voice.

He really needed more solos.

"You just played Want You Back, Ash, you were so enthusiastic I kinda expected something new" I said after he finished.

"I know, I'm just really bored right now."

"I can tell, what is the rest doing?"

"Michael is taking a shower, Cal went somewhere and I'm actually waiting for him right now so we can do something together and Luke is chatting with Layla, I guess, at least he's trying to."

"Layla is cutting him off, right?"

"I think so, she's not really interested in him, is she?"

"You don't really think I would tell you anything about her feelings, do you?"

"Not really, no."

"Good."

I heard some footsteps on the other line again.

"Did you see my phone, Ashton?" It was Michael.

"Mikey!"

"God damnit, Ley, don't scream your boyfriend's name in my ear, that hurt."

"Why do you have my phone?" Michael sounded a bit tired and confused, he sounded adorable.

"You can have it back, Ley doesn't want to talk with me anyway."

"Aww, no, that's not true, I always love talking with you, Ash, I just love talking with Michael even more."

I heard some weird cracking noises and talking I couldn't understand. It took me some time to realise that Michael just got his phone back.

"Hey, kitten."

He walked away from Ashton and I could hear my annoying friend screaming for Michael to not leave him in the background.

"Hi, Mikey, you're sounding tired."

"That's 'cause I am."

"Why?"

"Had some sleeping problems the last few, weeks, it's not a big deal though."

"Hey, is that Adley?" Luke's voice.

Again were there the crackling sounds coming from the phone until I could hear Luke's voice clearly talking. I assumed he just stole Michael's phone.

"Come back, Adley, Michael can't sleep properly since you left, and he always wants to cuddle with me, I mean I'm not complaining, but still."

"Give me my phone back you idiot!"

Luke ignored Michael completely and just kept walking away from him, still talking to me.

"We'll see each other again in a few months."

"Uh... yeah, about that." I could hear how he closed a door and locked it afterwards, his voice suddenly became very quiet.

"What's wrong?" It would destroy me if he would tell me that I couldn't come. I was looking forward to this since the day I left. I've been counting the days.

I needed to see Michael again as soon as possible.

"I'm gonna put you in the group chat with Cal and Ash, you just need to promise to not say anything to Michael. Cal and Ash would kill me for telling you already if you tell Mike.“

"Alright.“

I didn't even know what I was agreeing on, but I wanted to know what was up.