Chapter 34- The Memories

Nobody asked her if she wanted to donate her organs because she was only twenty-two. No person should die at the age of twenty-two. They slide her body into the wall and closed the steel door. A whole person with emotions and feelings and thoughts and memories who was loved, just gone. Forever..

I just kept staring at the white door of the hotel suite. I couldn't sleep or move or stop seeing visions of my sister: good memories and terrifying ones.

I saw my mother lying in the road again next to the car; her eyes staring lifelessly out in front of her and next to her in the road stood my sister. She had on the same white dress, and I realised it was the dress she wore the night of her last school dance. She stood with her back facing me and only turned her head towards me. "I'll take mom with me..." She whispered to me. My mother got up and they disappeared into the woods that were next to the road, together.

I woke up I felt Rodrique breathing heavily behind me. He was sleeping.

I saw her again the night of her last dance, that same white dress. She was still alive and so excited to go. She had on a purple wrist corsage. I drove her to the dance that evening and watched as she walked into the school hall. I drove home and went back later that night to fetch her again.

It was already dark when Cleone walked to the car climbed into the passenger seat next to me. She was sad, and I could see she has been crying.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

She didn't look at me; she just stared down to her feet.

"Nothing, I just want to go home." She said.

I didn't say anything else while I drove home. I wondered for the first time why she was so upset that night.

I woke up. Rodrique wasn't next to me anymore. It's already late morning. I must have slept in. I sat upright, and I felt my head pounding. It was probably from all the stress; a part of me had hoped that it would be a dream. I got up and walked to the kitchen for a drink.

Rodrique came in the front door, all sweaty. He walked towards me breathing heavily. He had on his gym wear.

"I quickly went for a jog." He said, still out of breath while hugging me from behind and giving me a kiss on my head.

I drank the water that I poured into my glass from the tap. My throat hurt from thirstiness. I looked over to the clock on the wall, its ten thirty in the morning. I usually hated sleeping in, but I think I needed it this time. We walked back to the couch together and sat down.

I waited anxiously for the call from the police department. They took their time but eventually called at eleven. They asked me to come in and answer a few questions.

I got dressed, and Rodrique took me. The car came to a stop in front of the station. I looked out the window of the car at the orange bricks of the building and steps that leads to the inside. The railings were painted black but the red paint from underneath showed at the places it was chipped of. The sight was depressing but quiet. I opened my door and climbed out. Rodrique followed me, and we walked up the stairs into the station.

There was a woman behind a thick glass window. She was writing something when we came in and paused only for a second to tell us to sit down and wait before she continued writing again. We sat down on a wooden bench against the wall. It was quiet, and the only sound I heard was the fan screeching in the top corner of the room and the bench creaking beneath us from the weight.

We sat there for a few minutes. I wanted to have a conversation with Rodrique, but I couldn't think of anything to say or talk about. A man dressed in a police uniform appeared from around the corner and came to us.

"Miss Brooks?" He asked and held out his hand. Rodrique shook his hand and I gave him a friendly nod.

"Come with me." He said and walked back the way he came.

He held open a door for me and I walked inside.

"I'll wait for you outside." Rodrique said before the deputy closed the door behind him.

There was a small table with two chairs on each side in the middle on the room. The deputy held out his arm indicating that I must to sit down. I sat down on the one chair and he sat down opposite me.

"Good day Miss Brooks. This is only a conversation to compare the autopsy to the events that lead to Cleone Brooks' death. You are being recorded trough out the whole questioning for safety and security reasons. Please say your name and surname and your relation to the deceased." The deputy said while writing on a folio.

"My name is Adelynn Brooks, and Cleone Brooks is my sister." I said while staring at the table.

"Miss Brooks was found between seven and eight am the morning of 12th October 2018, already dead in the bath tub of Apartment 23 of Building: Oak stone. Is this correct?" He asked and looked up from his paper, waiting for my answer.

"Yes." I said looking at him. "The deceased had overdosed on illegal substances and slit her wrist to commit suicide." He said and looked up to me again.

PLEASE VOTE BEFORECONTINUING!! THANK YOU ;)