Chapter 35- Answers

"I believe so." I said and felt the tears burn my eyes.

"Were you aware that the deceased was abusing heroin and other illegal drugs?" He asked again.

"No." I said looking at the table.

I had a feeling, and I did try and get help for her without mentioning the drugs abuse. I knew now why she had the bruises in her face and why she was sick, and it explained the lighter, spoon and needles in the bathroom. I knew, but I never realized it was heroin. We learned about it in school, but it doesn't feel like the same thing when you see it; you don't realize it until it's too late.

"Miss Brooks?" he said to get my attention.

"Sorry, what was the question?" I asked him again.

"Were you aware that the deceased was nine weeks pregnant?" He asked me again while looking at me.

A cold shiver ran down my spine.

"I didn't know." I said to him, struggling to hear my own voice.

Who was the father? Was the pregnancy the reason for her suicide?

"How do you know she was pregnant?" I asked him.

"The morgue confirmed it after the autopsy." He said and continued writing.

Were there any events that happened the last few months that could indicate that the deceased were involved in illegal events?" He asked me.

I told him about her arrest and my kidnapping. He wrote everything I said down.

"Thank you Miss Brooks for your time and cooperation." He said and stood up from the table.

I got up as well and walked towards the door. He opened it for me, and I walked outside to the car without saying goodbye or talking to anyone. Rodrique followed me to where I stood by his car, waiting for him. He unlocked his Audi and I got in.

"Can we go to campus?" I asked and looked up to him after he closed his door.

He looked relived that I eventually spoke to him. He nodded and drove off.

We drove through the gates of her campus. I got out and walked inside the building to Cleone's room. Rodrique followed me. I looked around her room. I opened every closet door and drawer and I even looked under the mattress.

I was searching for answers. I couldn't find anything. I sat down on the bed and just before I could cry, something at the bottom of her closet caught my eye. I stood up from the bed and walked closer. It was a black shoe box. I took it out and sat down on her bed again. Rodrique came in shortly after and sat down next to me. I opened the box. There were three books inside. I took out the first one, it was hand written diaries. The first page read: 'Cleone's'.

Somebody walked down the hall and I looked up. It was Maisie. I jumped up and followed her to her room. I walked in and found her sitting on her bed. She was surprised to see me by the look on her face.

"Adelynn?" She asked surprisingly.

"Maisie... Do you know?" I had started before she interrupted me.

"I heard." She said and looked down to her fingers that were nervously fiddling with each other.

I walked over to her bed and sat down next to her. I looked into her eyes, and I could feel mine filling with tears.

"I don't know why, but all I know is that there are a lot of secrets I don't know. Please tell me what you know." I begged her as a tear escape my eye and ran down my cheek.

She had taken a deep breath before she began talking.

"I really don't want to go to the police, so I will tell you if you promise me you won't tell them that you heard it from me." She said to me with teary eyes.

"I promise, I promise." I said and took her hand to reassure her.

"We've been friends since preschool. She became a different person the first year of high school. She always wanted to sneak out and started drinking when she was sixteen. I always had looked out for her since high school. This year became worse. She met these guys that were part of a gang. I refused to hang out with them because I knew they were bad news. Cleone hung out with them more and more and she got angry with me every time I didn't want to go with her. She threw my bed lamp against the wall the one time I didn't want to join and came back later and acting like nothing of such sort had happen. I went with her the one evening, because I was afraid that she would act out again. That was the night before you had to fetch us at that house, the one with the green fence." She said and I immediately remembered the green fence from the day I was kidnapped.

I knew it looked familiar.

"They picked us up at campus and took us to that house. Everybody was drinking and smoking and making out. Cleone sat on the gang leader's lap the whole time whenever they didn't disappear for quite some time. I think there were doing drugs as well. I didn't take any, I swear." She said and started crying.

"What did the gang leader look like?" I asked her, trying to figure out if he was one of the guys that had kidnap me.

PLEASE VOTE BEFORE CONTINUING!! THANK YOU ;)