Chapter 44- The Memorial

Rodrique opened the door for me, and I got out. My uncle and his wife walked up to me and hugged me.

"I'm so sorry for you, Adelynn." My uncle said to me.

I haven't seen them in a long time. My niece walked up to me and gave me a hug. She was much older than the last time I saw her.

We all walked inside and sat down. A lot of people said something about Cleone and told stories of good memories of her. It was my turn, and I walked to the front.

"Hi everyone, I want to thank each and every one of you for coming. I will miss my sister a lot, but I know she doesn't have any pain or suffering anymore. I can't do anything to bring her back, but I can make sure she gets justice. I will always love you Cleone, you were my only sister. We all cross the same river. Some parts are deeper than others but we don't see that from the surface. We will meet again and play at grandma's lake and do each other's hair and just love each other like we always have; rest in peace Cleone..." I walked back, after my speech, to where I sat before and Rodrique took my hand in his.

After the memorial we all went home. My uncle and aunt and their daughter had to drive a long way back home so they drove immediately after the service.

Me and Rodrique got home and sat in the living room.

"You are still in the law right?" I asked him.

"Yes, but it almost got me killed." He said and pointed to the bandage in his neck.

"If you could do one more case, for a good cause, would you?" I asked and looked him into the eyes.

"I will. What is the case?" He asked, and I stood up and fetched the diaries from the box that stood in front of the television.

I opened to the page of the last school dance Cleone had. He took the book from me and started reading.

"I will do this; I will help to get justice for Cleone." He said as he closed the book after reading the diary entry.

"I will go and see him tomorrow." he said to me.

"I want to come with you, please?" I asked him nicely.

He thought about it for a few seconds before nodding.

I felt a lot better after Cleone's memorial. I had peace in me.

The morning after Rodrique went to the office again. I still haven't gone to work but I planned on going the next week. Rodrique came back after 10 am.

"We can go to see Mr. Stone. I contacted the school, and they said he was still employed with them." Rodrique said as soon as he came inside.

I got this sick feeling to my stomach. How many girls had to go through what Cleone went through? I chased the thought away and followed Rodrique downstairs.

He drove to the primary school that both Cleone and I went to. We drove in the gates at the office's side. We got out after we parked in front of the door and walked in together.

There were two ladies on each side of the entrance, the one I remembered from when I was still in school but the other one was new. She had long blond hair and a friendly face.

"Good day! How may I help you?" She asked with a big friendly smile.

"It's recess now right? We would like to see Mr. Stone." Rodrique said to her.

She frowned but picked up the phone and held it to her ear after dialling a number. Someone answered.

"Honey, there is a couple to see you. Can I send them to you?" She said over the phone.

Mr. Stone had a wife. She fiddled with the big wedding ring on her finger after she put down the phone and looked back at us.

"You can go in. He's at classroom 3B." She said and pointed to the doors leading to the corridors.

We walked to Mr. Stone's class and knocked before he opened the door and greeted us friendly.

We walked inside. It was a normal classroom with pictures of bees and flowers painted on the walls. I imagined a much more depressing sight.

"Hi. Stone. How can I help you?" He said and held out his hand to greet Rodrique.

"I would like to ask you a few questions. I you don't mind." Rodrique said to him and shook his hand.

I stood behind Rodrique and kept quiet.

"Is this a business proposal?" He asked Rodrique.

"No sir. Do you remember Cleone Brooks? She was in your math class in 2009?" He asked him.

"No, it doesn't ring a bell, sorry." He said to Rodrique before turning around and walking towards his desk.

His facial expression didn't change at all.

"I heard from a source that she was molested by you in 2009 at a school dance. This is the only incident that we know of." Rodrique said moving closer to him and looking more intimidating.

"No, you have to go now. I have work to do." He said then turned around and walked towards the door.

"Then you wouldn't mind going to the police to share your side of the story, right?" He said to Mr. Stone.

He stopped in his tracks before opening the door.

PLEASE VOTE BEFORE CONTINUING!! THANK YOU ;)