Chapter 8

I follow Keith as he walks towards his friends, ducking my head and ignoring any whispers that surrounded us.

"Who is she?"

"She's the new kid."

"Really? Haven't seen her before."

"Why is she walking with Keith?"

"Yeah, I thought he did go for those type of girls?"

The last comment made me feel self-conscious, but I quickly rid myself of the thought. As Keith and I approached his friends, who were hanging around a group of bikes, they all turned around.

Everyone greeted him, either with a pat on the back or a bro hug(why people do that is beyond me), and then turned to me.

"Hey Keith, isn't that the girl who was looking for you yesterday?"

"Oh yeah, the attention seeking wh-"

Keith let out a growl that stunned his friends, and I backed away a little.

"Don't you dare finish that sentence, Mike," Keith said in a very angry tone. "She is my friend and I won't hesitate to put you in your place if you insult her."

I felt my cheeks heat up as I realized that Keith was defending me.

The guy who I assumed was Mike didn't show any acknowledgment of the threat as he said, "Woah dude, why are you becoming so defense over a chick. She's probably the girl from last week who didn't get the message. What happened to bros before h-"

Mike didn't get a chance to finish that sentence as Keith threw a punch straight at his face. Mike fell down to the ground, and anyone who was nearby stopped to see why Keith just hit one of his friends. 

"Katie is not a h**. And we are not bros anymore. A bro would not insult a girl that happens to be my friend," Keith growled out, obviously agitated at the word that his friend was about to use.

Even though I cringed at his word choice, I couldn't stop myself from being a bit happy that Keith was willing to defend me when we only met each other two days ago. 

His other friends looked at Keith, who looked back at them. They had some sort of silent conversation before breaking contact and helping Mike up. 

Mike gave me a glare before he went away with the other two guys who I did not get the names of. 

"K-Keith, a-are you o-okay?" I asked him tentatively, taking a small step towards him. 

He just nodded before taking a look around and seeing that many people were looking at him. 

"What are you guys looking at?" Keith shouted.

Everyone immediately went back to what they were doing. Keith then turned to me and said, "Let's go inside, okay Pidge?" 

"Okay," I said, glad that he was back to normal. Honestly, when he punched Mike in the face, he looked like he wanted to murder him. 

Once we were inside, I said a small bye to Keith before walking in the direction of my first class. A few seconds later, I could hear footsteps behind me. I turned around and saw Keith was walking a few feet behind me. 

"Why are you following me?" I questioned. Doesn't he have to go to class?

"In case you haven't realized Pidge, we have the same first block class," he said with a smirk on his face, it growing bigger as I took in his words.

All I could muster out was a small "oh" before looking down at the ground, ashamed of myself. How could I not realize that he was in my class?

"Hey, let's go to class before we get lunch detention for being late," Keith said, noticing that I was uncomfortable.